Gravity Pull: Calculating Time to Impact

In summary, the two objects with the distance of r apart begin to get closer to each other due to gravity, eventually falling on each other. The question is asked about the time it takes for them to reach each other, with the clarification that the initial velocity of both objects is zero and the mass of one object cannot be ignored. The solution involves using a modified form of the orbital period formula and solving the differential equation "m\ddot{r}=-gMm/r^2". The speaker also mentions a previous solution using Kepler's third law.
O-r-i-o-n
There are two objects with the distance of r apart .
because of the gravity , these two objects start to get closer to each other and then they get to each other (actually they fall on each other) .So my question is how long does it take for them to get to each other?
Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do the two objects start at rest?

Is this a homework problem?

Yes , their initial velocity is zero .
No it's not a homework , the teacher told us how to use Kepler's third law for a big fall like this (for example an asteroid falls to the sun) but in those kinds of cases one object is a lot heavier than the other one.
so this question popped in my head what if you can't ignore the small object's mass?
thanks

If you can't ignore the mass of one of the objects, then you need to use a modified form of the orbital period formula where you add the masses together (where you normally would have "M", you substitute (M+m). Then take half of the orbital period to get your fall time.

Good , I didn't think of that , thanks
but once someone solved this but I was too young to understand what he did
He was trying to solve the " m[tex]\ddot{r}[/tex]=-gMm/r^2 " differential equation , but I guess your solution is good , too . Thanks

Related to Gravity Pull: Calculating Time to Impact

1. What is "Gravity Pull: Calculating Time to Impact"?

"Gravity Pull: Calculating Time to Impact" is a scientific method used to determine the amount of time it takes for an object to fall to the ground due to the force of gravity. It involves using the gravitational acceleration constant, the initial height of the object, and the final velocity to calculate the time it takes for the object to reach the ground.

2. How is the gravitational acceleration constant determined?

The gravitational acceleration constant, denoted by "g", is a value that represents the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. It is determined by the mass and radius of the Earth, and its value is approximately 9.8 m/s².

3. What is the formula for calculating time to impact using "Gravity Pull"?

The formula for calculating time to impact using "Gravity Pull" is t = √(2h/g), where "t" represents the time, "h" represents the initial height of the object, and "g" represents the gravitational acceleration constant.

4. Can "Gravity Pull" be used to calculate the time to impact for objects on other planets?

Yes, "Gravity Pull" can be used to calculate the time to impact for objects on other planets. However, the gravitational acceleration constant will be different for each planet, so the formula will need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. How accurate is "Gravity Pull" in determining time to impact?

"Gravity Pull" is a highly accurate method for calculating time to impact. However, factors such as air resistance and the shape and size of the falling object may affect the accuracy of the calculation.