Gravity problems - when is the Earth's attraction 5 Newtons

In summary, the object must be taken to a distance approximately 9,011 meters from the center of Earth in order for Earth's attraction to be 5 Newtons. This is based on the Universal Law of Gravitation and the fact that force varies inversely with the square of the distance between two objects.
Sedm
I just recently started studying physics about a month ago, so I'm not too good at it yet. Anyway, here's the problem:

When a certain object is 100 meters above the surface of the Earth, Earth's attraction for it is 10 Newtons. In order for Earth's attraction for the same object to be only 5 Newtons, the object must be taken to a distance from the surface of Earth of _______.

My approach to the problem: I thought that in order to decrease the force by half, you would have to quadruple the distance (in other words, it varies inversely as the distance between the two points squared). This led me to think that the answer is 400 meters. Naturally, as I don't know that much about physics yet though, I don't think I'm right.

Help, anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is close. The Universal Law of Graviation is [tex]G\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

r is the distance from the center of earth.

So to double the force of gravity, you would increase r by a factor of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Sedm said:
I just recently started studying physics about a month ago, so I'm not too good at it yet. Anyway, here's the problem:

When a certain object is 100 meters above the surface of the Earth, Earth's attraction for it is 10 Newtons. In order for Earth's attraction for the same object to be only 5 Newtons, the object must be taken to a distance from the surface of Earth of _______.

My approach to the problem: I thought that in order to decrease the force by half, you would have to quadruple the distance (in other words, it varies inversely as the distance between the two points squared). This led me to think that the answer is 400 meters. Naturally, as I don't know that much about physics yet though, I don't think I'm right.

Help, anyone?

You have that exactly backwards! Since force is inversely proportional to distance squared, if you double the distance, the force is cut by 1/4.

To halved the force the distance is to be [tex]\sqrt{2} [/tex] times the origional distance from the center of earth.
100 m is quite small as compared to the radius of Earth which is nearly 6380000 m and hence the body is still supposed at the surface of the earth.
The new distance is [tex]\sqrt{2} [/tex] times 6380000 m from the center of earth.

Related to Gravity problems - when is the Earth's attraction 5 Newtons

1. How is the Earth's attraction measured?

The Earth's attraction, or gravitational force, is measured in units of Newtons (N). This is a unit of force and is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared.

2. When is the Earth's attraction 5 Newtons?

The Earth's attraction is constantly changing and is dependent on the distance between two objects and their masses. At a distance of 6,371 kilometers (the radius of the Earth) from the center of the Earth, the gravitational force is approximately 9.8 Newtons. Therefore, the Earth's attraction would be 5 Newtons at a distance of approximately 9,372 kilometers from the center of the Earth.

3. Is the Earth's attraction the same everywhere on the planet?

No, the Earth's attraction is not the same everywhere on the planet. Due to the varying distances and masses of objects on Earth, the gravitational force can differ slightly. However, these differences are usually very small and not noticeable to humans.

4. How does the Earth's attraction affect objects on its surface?

The Earth's attraction, or gravity, is what keeps objects on its surface from floating out into space. Gravity also causes objects to fall towards the Earth's center at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This is why objects dropped from a height will accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate.

5. Can the Earth's attraction be stronger or weaker in different parts of the universe?

Yes, the Earth's attraction can be stronger or weaker in different parts of the universe. This is because the gravitational force is influenced by the mass and distance of objects. Near massive objects, such as other planets or stars, the Earth's attraction may be stronger. In very empty areas of space, the Earth's attraction may be weaker due to the lack of nearby mass.