Gravity Problem - Satellite Orbit Calculations

In summary: The idea is that the speed you calculated is the speed along the curved path. The orbital speed, on the other hand, is the speed along this particular orbit, which is a circle. So...what's the relationship between the two?
maniacp08
Gravity Problem -- satellite

A satellite with a mass of 250 kg moves in a circular orbit 8.00 x 10^7 m above the Earth's surface.
(a) What is the gravitational force on the satellite?
N
(b) What is the speed of the satellite?
km/s
(c) What is the period of the satellite?
h

Relevant Equations
gravitational Force = G*m1*m2 / r^2
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2

The gravitational force is given but I am only given the m1 of the satellite, is m2 the mass of Earth 5.9742 × 10^24 kilograms?
How would I derive the radius from the orbit?

for Part b, I would need the answer for part a right?

for part c:
Would I use this formula to calculate the period?
T^2 = (4pi^2 / G*m) * r^3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For part a, you're given the altitude of the orbit, which is pretty much the same as the radius, except that it's measured from the surface of the earth, not from its centre. SO, you have to add the radius of the Earth to this altitude.

As far as the mass of the Earth goes...did you get it from a reliable source?

Yes, for part b you need the answer to part a, if you are going to use the fact that gravity is what provides the required centripetal force here to answer the question.

I don't know where that formula for the period comes from, and I'm too lazy to check its dervation. I'd take a much simpler approach. You know the circumference of the orbit (ie the distance covered), and you know the speed of the orbit (from part b). time = distance/speed.

Ok, I got the mass of the Earth 5.98 × 10^24 kilograms from the textbook.

So the raidus of the Earth is 6.37 x 10^6m which my textbook says.
So I add 8.00 x 10^7 m to it? So is 86,370,000 which is 86.37 x 10^6

gravitational Force = G*m1*m2 / r^2
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2

F = (6.67 x 10^-11)(5.98 × 10^24)( 250) / (86.37 x 10^6)^2
= (39.886610x^13)( 250) / (7459.7769 x 10^12)
= 9971.65 x 10^13 / (7459.7769 x 10^12)
= 1.336722282 x 10 = 13.36722282 approx = 13.37N

13.37N is the force of gravity
to find the speed, I can do F = MA?
13.37N = m * v^2/r

What would r be in this case?

maniacp08 said:
So I add 8.00 x 10^7 m to it?

Why so hesitant? Does my explanation make sense to you? Please don't just blindly do what I say. Make sure you understand it. Draw a picture. If the satellite is 80 000 km above the *surface* of the Earth as stated, then how far is it from the *centre?* What additional piece of info do you need to know to answer that? Now does it make sense?

I haven't checked your arithmetic.

maniacp08 said:
to find the speed, I can do F = MA?
13.37N = m * v^2/r

Ummm...yeah. Basically you can do what you did, which is to equate the graviational force to the centripetal force. The reason for doing so is that gravity is what is providing the centripetal force required for circular motion in this case.

maniacp08 said:
What would r be in this case?
This should really be obvious if you think back to the context in which centripetal force was introduced. It was introduced in the context of circular motion. If something is moving in a circle, it must have a centripetal force acting on it. So what 's r, then?

Yes, it makes sense, thanks for explaining.
And I got what r is now that you related it as a circle.

For part C:
What you said earlier
time = distance/speed
where distance is the orbits circumference/distance covered
It would be 2Pi*(86.37 x 10^6) / 2.15km
I get a big answer of 252528.6976s, I divide by 60 since the answer is Hr.
and I get 4208.811. What did I do wrong?

what do you mean by "distance is the orbits circumference/distance covered?"

The distance in traveled in one orbit is the circumference of the orbit. That's it. So where does the 2.15 km come from?

Again, time=distance/speed, but I don't see a speed in your calculation. What was your speed from part b?

I found the speed from part b 2.15 km/s

circumference of the orbit is 2Pi*(86.37 x 10^6)

so time = 2Pi*(86.37 x 10^6) / 2.15 km/s

I don't know if there's anything wrong with your method. But each part depends upon the previous one, so you'd better check your math.

Related to Gravity Problem - Satellite Orbit Calculations

What is the concept of gravity?

The concept of gravity is the force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects to be attracted to one another. The strength of the gravitational force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

How does gravity affect satellites?

Gravity affects satellites by constantly pulling them towards the Earth. This force, combined with the satellite's initial velocity, causes it to orbit around the Earth. The strength of the gravitational force also determines the speed and path of the satellite's orbit.

What is the difference between weightlessness and zero gravity?

Weightlessness and zero gravity are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Weightlessness is the sensation of not feeling any weight due to the absence of normal support forces, as experienced in freefall or in orbit. Zero gravity, on the other hand, refers to a state where the gravitational force is effectively zero, such as in deep space.

How does the Earth's gravity affect the orbit of a satellite?

The Earth's gravity is what keeps a satellite in orbit. The gravitational force between the Earth and the satellite acts as a centripetal force, keeping the satellite in a circular orbit. The strength of this force also determines the speed of the satellite's orbit.

Can satellites escape the Earth's gravity?

Yes, satellites can escape the Earth's gravity if they have enough velocity to overcome the gravitational force. This is known as escape velocity and differs depending on the mass and size of the satellite. Once a satellite reaches escape velocity, it will continue to move away from the Earth and into outer space.