Gravity: Particle or Shape of Space?

In summary: If this is constant, then the force of gravity would remain constant. However, because gravitons are constantly moving, the force of gravity actually varies depending on where you are in space. This might be why we feel different levels of gravity in different places.
Pjpic
Is the force of gravity transmitted by a particle or is gravity due to the shape of space (of some sort).

If gravity is due to the shape of space, why isn't this similar to the aether concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum theory indicates that gravity should be quantized, which would mean having an associated particle. This does not, as far as I know, eliminate spacetime curvature.

This is completely different from aether theory. The aether is a postulated substance acting as a universal frame of reference against which everything could be measured. Modern physics has demonstrated that no such frame of reference exists.

Quantum theory indicates that gravity should be quantized, which would mean having an associated particle. This does not, as far as I know, eliminate spacetime curvature.

I don't understand why the force of gravity would be transmitted by a particle if gravity is thought of as a curvature. Do the particles curve spacetime?

Something I personally have never understood about gravitons. Will they themselves have energy and so cause curvature? I'm not qute sure about how massless particles affect spacetime, my understanding of GR is crude at best (though improving slowly =]).

Spacetime curvature might be graviton density at that point in space. (speculation)

If spacetime is a matrix of gravitons of differring density, it sort of sounds like an aether like substance.

differing density?

I might have misunderstood the other poster (speculating that the density of gravitons is what curves spacetime).

Pjpic said:
If gravity is due to the shape of space, why isn't this similar to the aether concept?
Because you cannot assign a velocity to curved spacetime.

Curvature being graviton density (one assumes that means number of gravitons per unit spacetime i guess?) then would this mean that something producing a gravitational field would have to emit gravitons at a constant rate? so as to keep the curvature at a point the same, and thus the force the same?

Gravity confuses me, i need to go read a book.

Different theories "see" (interpret) gravity differently:

Netwon: an instantaneous force , three dimensions of space, space and time is fixed

Einstein: curvature of space time, not a force, wave field like theory,continuous smooth, cosmic sizes, four dimensions of spacetime with variable space and time

Quantum theory: gravitons are the carrier of gravity, discrete picture, atomic realm

Trying to precisely compare all these is difficult: The first two are quite complementary and Einsteins picture simplifies to Newtons in many cases; Nobody knows how to "unify" the last two..it's been one of the major objectives since the 1920's. Einstein shows that gravity occurs due to mass, energy and pressure.

String theory has a slightly different view from any of the above: It views all particles, gravitons included, as vibrating bits of two dimensional energy...different vibrational patterns cause different particles in 11 dimensional spacetime.

Gravity is also related to the other three forces (strong,weak, electromagnetic) but nobody knows exactly how. And Maybe Higgs bosons (field) are also related to gravity since they theoretically cause mass and mass in turn causes gravity.

In some vague sense you might consider curvature of space and aether "similar" in that both are "something". But curvature of spacetime is far more fundamental and subtle than "aether". Aether was postulated to carry light; it had nothing to do with any other force, such as gravity. gravitational curvature is unnecessary for the other forces; aether has been pretty well proven to be no existent.

"We know a lot, we understand little."

Last edited:
quantum theory sees space as consisting of a vast number of quantum oscillators. these can be thought of as tiny masses connected by springs. its easy to imagine how a mass could distort such a fabric. its not so easy to see how one gets an inverse square law out of that distortion.

"We know a lot, we understand little."[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that gives me the sense of it.

Pjpic said:
If spacetime is a matrix of gravitons of differring density, it sort of sounds like an aether like substance.

As massless particles, gravitons must move at the speed of light.

Related to Gravity: Particle or Shape of Space?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. Is gravity a particle or a shape of space?

This is a debated topic in the field of physics. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. However, some theories suggest that gravity may also be carried by particles called gravitons.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by warping the fabric of space-time around objects with mass. This curvature causes objects to follow a curved path, which we perceive as gravity. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

4. Can gravity be explained by quantum mechanics?

Currently, there is no unified theory that successfully combines quantum mechanics and general relativity to explain gravity. Some theories, such as string theory, attempt to bridge this gap, but it remains an open question in the scientific community.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

There is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly studying and researching ways to potentially harness and use gravity for practical purposes, such as propulsion and space travel.