Gravity on an unbalanced object

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the torque from gravity about point P1 in a rigid body system, in order to determine how far the angle at P1 will change within a given amount of time until the object hits the floor. The FBD method is suggested for this calculation and it is mentioned that this topic may have been discussed in a related thread on Physics Forums.
AI_Messiah
TL;DR Summary
I have provided an illustration so that anyone who understands enough about rigid body physics can understand what I mean.
So I have 2 Points P1 and P2. P2 is the center of mass which has an X and Y coordinate. P1 is where I think that it will fall over from and only has an X location.

physexpl.png

Now what I want is to find a way to get how far the angle at P1 will change in relation to where these points are within a given amount of time until the edge on the far right bottom hits the floor and this object may or may not have a velocity when I am making the calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just calculate the torque from gravity about P1

AI_Messiah said:
Summary:: I have provided an illustration so that anyone who understands enough about rigid body physics can understand what I mean.

So I have 2 Points P1 and P2. P2 is the center of mass which has an X and Y coordinate. P1 is where I think that it will fall over from and only has an X location.

View attachment 297108
Now what I want is to find a way to get how far the angle at P1 will change in relation to where these points are within a given amount of time until the edge on the far right bottom hits the floor and this object may or may not have a velocity when I am making the calculation.
So as @Dale says, you just sum the moments on your Free Body Diagram (FBD) that you draw for the mechanical system. Do you know how to do that yet? Is this related to your other thread start here at PF?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rigid-body-physics-machine-learning-environment.1012171/

Related to Gravity on an unbalanced object

1. How does gravity affect an unbalanced object?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. When an object is unbalanced, it means that the forces acting on it are not equal in magnitude and direction. This causes the object to accelerate in the direction of the stronger force, which is usually towards the center of the Earth.

2. What factors affect the amount of gravity on an unbalanced object?

The amount of gravity on an unbalanced object is affected by the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. The greater the mass of the object, the stronger the force of gravity. The further the object is from the center of the Earth, the weaker the force of gravity.

3. Can an unbalanced object float in space?

An unbalanced object cannot float in space because there is no gravity to pull it towards a center point. In order for an object to float, it must be in a state of equilibrium where the forces acting on it are balanced.

4. How does an unbalanced object behave in a gravitational field?

In a gravitational field, an unbalanced object will experience a net force in the direction of the stronger force. This will cause the object to accelerate towards the center of the gravitational field. If the object is in orbit around a larger object, it will continue to accelerate towards the center, but the object's tangential velocity will keep it in orbit.

5. How can the effects of gravity on an unbalanced object be calculated?

The effects of gravity on an unbalanced object can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Other factors, such as air resistance and the shape of the object, may also need to be taken into account when calculating the effects of gravity on an unbalanced object.