Gravity, Inertia and Contraction

In summary, inertia has Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction. This means that time passes more slowly for an object at the bottom of a tower than at the top. It has been experimentally verified at high accuracy. Curvature of spacetime is a related concept, but it is not a technically equivalent comparison because an object in an inertial frame locally is equivalent to a steady velocity.
Boeley
Inertia has Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction.

Is there a similar (parallel?) contraction equation for Gravitational forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean Inertia has Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction? L-F contraction applies to length, how can it apply to a concept like inertia?

I've never heard of this...

The short answer is, I believe, yes.

I took the question to be about momentum/inertia... mv. So with a velocity term, the poster implies gamma relationships of time expansion and length contraction.

I believe the question boils down to whether intertial and gravitational mass are equivalent...and so far as is known they are.

The "contraction equation for gravitational forces" is ,first, time dilation as a function of (increased) gravitational potential. So for example time passes more slowly at the bottom of a tower (at higher gravitational potential) on the Earth's surface than at the top of the tower...this has been experimentally verified at Harvard, I believe, to a very high degree of accuracy. and we have other supporting experimental evidence.

As for the corollary to length contraction, I'd take that to be curvature of spacetime, but that's probably not a technically equivalent comparison because in GR a free falling particle is in an inertial frame locally, that's equivalent to a steady velocity in SR and hence from that condition and perspective length contraction IS observed. That's why I made the simple answer a "yes"..

As I reread my answer after posting it I don't like it so much...maybe a more comprehnsive reply takes into account gravitational tensor relationships which are strictly a part of gravitational formulations. When an object of finite size is subjected to the gravitational influence of, say a black hole or a planet, the object is both stretched in the direction of the gravitational source and also compressed (thinner) by tidal forces as it is subjected to increasing gravitational potential...I don't know if either are velocity dependent.

I have not thought about how the contraction due to velocity and stretching due to gravitational forces in the direction of motion are accounted...hopefully somebody will enlighten us.

Last edited:

Related to Gravity, Inertia and Contraction

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other.

What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is related to an object's mass, with larger objects having more inertia.

How does gravity affect inertia?

Gravity can affect an object's inertia by changing its state of motion. For example, the gravitational force of the Earth keeps the Moon in orbit, continuously altering its direction and speed.

Why do objects with more mass experience stronger gravitational pull?

According to Newton's law of gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. Therefore, objects with more mass will experience a stronger gravitational pull towards each other.

What is gravitational contraction?

Gravitational contraction is the process by which an object with a large mass, such as a star, shrinks in size due to the force of its own gravity. This results in an increase in temperature and density at the core of the object.