Gravity Goes Faster Than Light?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using gravity fields to transmit information faster than light. However, this idea is not compatible with the principles of relativity and is only applicable in the non-relativistic theory of Newtonian gravity. The speed of gravity waves is limited to the speed of light according to the theory of General Relativity. Additionally, there was a mention of a potential torque on the earth in relation to this topic.
Mazerakham
I would have added this post to the other thread on Gravity, but I thought this was too theoretical of a segway, so it needed its own thread.

But, if gravity fields transmit instantaneously, then wouldn't it be a way of transmitting information faster than light? (Say, a sort of gravity Morse Code if you will).

If we had sensitive enough instruments (and some non-explosive way of making matter flash out of existence), then this would be practical for space missions, no?

Science news on Phys.org
I assume you're talking about my thread, in which we are discussing Newtonian gravity. Newtonian gravity is a non-relativistic theory, so it's not compatible with the principles of relativity. In the theory of General Relativity, gravity waves travel at the speed of light, so there is no issue.

Why would you presume gravity goes faster than light? General relativity says it moves at c.

Sorry. Thank you Nabeshin. I'm just a classical physics kind of guy, haven't really dabbled in this relativity stuff. Thanks.

But I thought someone in your thread was saying that, if gravity waves propagate at c, then there would be some sort of torque on the earth?

I understand the fascination with the idea of gravity transmitting information faster than light. However, based on our current understanding of physics, this is not possible.

Firstly, it is important to clarify that gravity is not a force that "transmits" or travels through space. It is a fundamental property of matter that causes objects with mass to attract each other. This attraction is described by the theory of general relativity, which has been extensively tested and confirmed.

The theory of relativity also tells us that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is a fundamental limit of the universe, and no information or signal can surpass it. Therefore, it is not possible for gravity to transmit information faster than light, as it is not a force or signal that can be controlled or directed in that way.

Furthermore, even if we could somehow manipulate gravity fields to transmit information, it would still not be faster than light. This is because gravity fields, like all other forms of energy, also travel at the speed of light. They may seem to have an instantaneous effect, but that is because the speed of light is incredibly fast and we are not able to detect any delay.

In terms of practical applications for space missions, it is unlikely that gravity could be used as a means of communication. It is a very weak force and difficult to manipulate, and there are already more efficient and reliable methods of communication in space.

In conclusion, while the idea of gravity transmitting information faster than light may be intriguing, it is not supported by our current understanding of physics. As scientists, it is important to base our theories and hypotheses on well-established principles and evidence, rather than speculation or imagination.

Related to Gravity Goes Faster Than Light?

1. Does gravity really travel faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity does not travel faster than light. This theory states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe.

2. How does gravity affect the speed of light?

Gravity can affect the speed of light by bending its path. This is known as gravitational lensing and is a phenomenon predicted by general relativity. The gravity of massive objects can warp the fabric of space-time, causing light to follow a curved path.

3. Can gravity be used to travel faster than light?

No, gravity cannot be used to travel faster than light. While the effects of gravity can appear to be faster than light, this is due to the curvature of space-time rather than the actual speed of gravity.

4. Is there any evidence of gravity traveling faster than light?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that gravity travels faster than light. All experiments and observations have confirmed Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe.

5. Why is it important to understand the speed of gravity?

Understanding the speed of gravity is important because it is a fundamental aspect of our universe. It helps us understand how objects interact with each other and how the universe operates. Additionally, studying the speed of gravity can lead to advancements in our understanding of space-time and the laws of physics.