Gravity & Force From Black Holes: How Do Photons Escape?

In summary: In the sense that the term "photon" was used, yes, it is on its face. But that term gets used a lot to mean something that is much more accurately described as either a classical EM field or a classical "pulse of EM radiation". Also, physically speaking, unless the black hole is of very small mass, a classical description should be sufficient.
black hole 123
this seems like a dumb question but i just can't think of a solution. black holes can suck photons, that's why they are black. but there are charged black holes, and the EM forces is mediated by photons, so how can the mediating photon escape the gravity? also arent the gravitons (i know gravitons is unconfirmed...) themselves subject to the same thing? so in other words black holes should just be a dot in space with no force around it.

Physics news on Phys.org
An explanation I've seen is that the Coulomb force is transmitted by virtual photons, which don't have to travel at c. I'm not strong enough at field theory to know whether this is really a rigorous explanation.

bcrowell said:
An explanation I've seen is that the Coulomb force is transmitted by virtual photons, which don't have to travel at c.

The Usenet article mentions this, but it links to other articles which discuss the limitations of this view. Also, as the article notes, virtual photons are a quantum concept, and it should be possible to have a classical explanation of what's going on (which the article provides).

PeterDonis said:
Also, as the article notes, virtual photons are a quantum concept, and it should be possible to have a classical explanation of what's going on (which the article provides).

The OP's question was explicitly quantum-mechanical.

I don't see why there would be any mystery classically.

bcrowell said:
The OP's question was explicitly quantum-mechanical.

In the sense that the term "photon" was used, yes, it is on its face. But that term gets used a lot to mean something that is much more accurately described as either a classical EM field or a classical "pulse of EM radiation". Also, physically speaking, unless the black hole is of very small mass, a classical description should be sufficient.

bcrowell said:
I don't see why there would be any mystery classically.

I don't think there is either, but I'm not sure the OP realized that there isn't.

Related to Gravity & Force From Black Holes: How Do Photons Escape?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is an area of space with such a strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How does gravity affect photons near a black hole?

Gravity affects photons near a black hole by bending their path and slowing them down. As they get closer to the black hole, their speed decreases and their wavelength increases, causing them to appear redder to an observer.

3. How do photons escape from a black hole?

Photons can escape from a black hole if they are emitted at a certain angle and with enough energy to overcome the gravitational pull. This is known as the critical angle and is dependent on the mass and spin of the black hole.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to current scientific understanding, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. This is known as the point of no return, where the gravitational pull is too strong for anything to escape.

5. What role do black holes play in the force of gravity?

Black holes play a significant role in the force of gravity as their immense mass and gravitational pull can affect the movement of objects and even distort space-time. They are also believed to play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.