Network i hava a adsl modem

• Thread starter expscv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the conversation is about setting up a home network to allow both a desktop and laptop to access the internet. The person has an ADSL modem with one Ethernet port, a desktop with a network card, and a laptop with two PCIMA cards. They are using Windows XP and are having trouble connecting the two computers. The expert suggests getting a router or a hub, and explains the difference between the two. They also give instructions on how to determine if the two computers have the same network protocol and how to identify if a cable is a patch or cross-over cable. The expert also explains the purpose of a subnet mask and default gateway, and suggests buying a hub and cables to set up the network. They also advise checking if DHCP is
expscv
about network i hava a

adsl modem (1 ehthernet port)

a desktop with a network card

a laptop with two PCIMA card both etherenet adpter (Xircom)

how do i make them both surf internet?

thx

i m using windows xp ...

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
btw i can't even make connection between my laptop to desktop (the cabel and adpter all works fine)

2. is possible to achieve wihour use a hub or simmilar

Last edited:
I would advise you get a router. Saves a hell of a lot of trouble.

...i might need to face some trouble.

i m not even able two connect the desktop and laptop =(

Last edited:
What kind of DSL modem do you have and who is your ISP.

You can most likely simply connect your DSL modem to a hub (you can buy a 4 port hub for about 40 dollars) and then run patch cables from your hub to your 2 PCs and both machines will have a connection to the Internet. (Be sure to run patch cables from your hub to the PCs and a cross-over cable from you DSL modem your hub (or run a patch cable from your DSL modem to you hub but insert the patch cable in the “uplink” port of the hub)

This is dependant on if your DSL router supports NAT (Network Address Translation) or your ISP allowing allocation of IP addresses to any node on the network asking for one via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)

There are many ways to skin this cat... If you give me more details Ill advise on which way to go...

Do this... Click "start" then "run" and type "cmd" and hit the enter key. A command prompt will open... from there type "ipconfig" and hit enter it will return three pieces of information to you 1) IP Address, 2) Subnet Mask, and 3) Default Gateway... Give me these numbers and I can determine if your PC has been allocated a "Private/Bogus" IP scheme, or a Public IP scheme...

From that information we can go to the next step on whether you will need a Hub or a Router to get both PCs on the network.

HTH,

Quote "btw i can't even make connection between my laptop to desktop (the cabel and adpter all works fine)"

As far as this question goes... if you are running a cable directly from one PC to another PC then make sure it is a cross-over cable... Then make sure both PCs have the same protocol installed (such as TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, etc) most likely you will be running TCP/IP on both machines... The IP addresses, of each machine, will have to be on the same network and you will need to statically enter these unless there is a DHCP server on the network. It would take me way to long to explain to you how to determine if 2 IP addresses are on the same network or not... but I will give you a few examples:

10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 are on the same network
10.0.0.1 and 10.1.2.2 are on the same network
10.0.0.1 and 11.0.0.1 are on different networks
192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.200 are on the same network
192.168.1.5 and 192.168.2.200 are on different networks

On a class A network the 1st octet determines the Network address and the last 3 octets determine the Host address. On a class B network the 1st two octets determine the Network address and last 2 octets determine the Host address. On a class C network the 1st 3 octets determine the Network address and the last octet determines the Host address.

... Back to cabling, to tell if your cable is a patch cable or a cross-over cable, hold the end-parts (the RJ-45 parts) together side by side and look at the colors of the wires inside. If the colors are in the same order on both end-parts then it is a patch cables. If the colors are in a reversed order (like a mirror image) then it is a cross-over cable.

oh great thanks

Desktop: connects to internet through dsl modem via cross over cable.
address type assigned by (Dynamic Host Config Protocol)

connection-specfic dns suffix : vic.bigpond.net.au
Ip 10.0.0.8
Subnet mask : 255.0.0.0
Default gateway: 10.0.0.138

Umm wat does Subnet mask , Default gateway tells me?

wats DHCP server on the network and dns?

my laptop is
connection-specfic dns suffix : blank
autoconfigraed ip : 169.254.94.37
Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: blank

Last edited:
The Subnet Mask address indicates if the network has been split into multiple sub-networks, at the cost of loosing hosts addresses. The Subnet Mask address you have (255.0.0.0) is the default subnet mask of any class A network and is not split up into any subnets.

The Default Gateway address is the first place your NIC will send information to if the destination address is located off of your network. In other words, most of the time, when you are connecting to a machine on your LAN the Default Gateway address isn’t needed because your NIC can figure out where the destination is without needing help from a router. But when surfing the net your NIC will not be able to locate the websites you are trying to get to and will send the request to your Default Gateway to figure out.

10.0.0.138 is a bogus IP address. It is not part of the Net. And it is the address of the private side of your DSL modem (that is if there is nothing in-between your computer and your DSL modem) So, if it has internet connectivity it means that address is being translated into a public address, and indicates that your DSL modem has NAT actively running on it.

Buy a 40 dollar hub and the cables. Run a cable from your modem to the hub and then two other cables from the hub to each of your computers.

You will have to figure out if you are running DHCP or not...Click "start" then "run" type "cmd" hit enter, type "IPCONFIG /ALL | MORE" hit enter, and tell me if DHCP is enabled, and what your DNS addresses are.

If DHCP is enabled then its pretty much plug in play. If it is not then statically enter the addresses into to the second machine you are setting up.. Use 10.0.0.45 as your IP address, 255.0.0.0 as your Subnet Mask, 10.0.0.138 as your Default Gateway and enter in the DNS addresses (which we don’t know yet)

You may want to call your ISP and ask them if they allow this (they should) but they may restrict their customers from sharing a connection. Sometimes they restrict it but do not enforce the restriction, other times they restrict it and enforce it unless you will pay them some extra money and other times they simply allow it.

cool thanks my DNS 10.0.0.138 DHCP enable and i will get a hub. for internet

but i still can't connect two pc together with the right settings like protocol. wat are possible error?

thx

expscv said:
cool thanks my DNS 10.0.0.138 DHCP enable and i will get a hub. for internet

but i still can't connect two pc together with the right settings like protocol. wat are possible error?

thx

Are you using a software firewall? If so, you might need to deactivate it. The standard windows one isn't very good anyway, that has to be deactivated. The Norton Fireewall can be given an exception to allow the network to pass through.

BTW, I just got mine to work last night. Very similar problems until I hit on the firewall.

Njorl

From computer to computer:

-You must use a cross-over cable.

-You have to have the same protocol installed on both machines (which you do)

-You must statically enter IP addresses on both machines that are part of the same IP network (which you probably haven’t done…) You mentioned you have DHCP enabled… so when you unplug that machine from what it is connected to now it will loose its ability to gain an IP address from a DHCP server. You need to manually enter these addresses.

Do this:
-Connect both machines together using a cross-over cable.

-Under control panel, network connection, local area connection, right click and hit properties, highlight TCP/IP and then properties, statically enter 10.0.0.8 for IP address and 255.0.0.0 for subnet mask (forget about DNS, and Default Gateway for now, just leave them blank) Do the same to the other machine but use IP 10.0.0.45 and subnet mask of 255.0.0.0. Click “ok” and get out of the properties screens you are in. Then, on the 10.0.0.8 machine, open a command prompt (start, run, type “cmd” hit enter) and then type “PING 10.0.0.45” and hit enter. From the 10.0.0.45 machine open a command prompt and type “PING 10.0.0.8” and hit enter. If you get replies then you have a connection.

-Share a folder from the 10.0.0.8 machine (do you know how to share a folder?) then go to the 10.0.0.45 machine and click “start” “run” type "\\computername" and hit enter (where computername is the UNC name of the 10.0.0.8 machine.) (Do you know how to find the computer name of that machine?) If all is working you will see a window open showing you the folder you shared form the 10.0.0.8 machine.

-If you are able to ping the machine but are unable to see the machine using UNC names then we have an address resolution problem that can be fixed using HOSTS, or LMHOSTS files.

-You will also want to make both machines part of the same “workgroup” you do this in the same place you find/change you UNC computer name (right click on “my computer” and then click on the “computer name” tab and you will see where to change the workgroup name within that display box. If you do not see it there then you have to change Windows XP to use Client for Microsoft Networks and we can cross that bridge if needed.

Worry about the last two paragraphs later… the first thing you want to be able to do is ping both machines.

i followed every steps but my desktop still notify me that ----> the network cable is unplugged
therefore no ping

I used same windows cd installed for both desktop and laptop does matter? it s windows xp professional.

and my desktop is using Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
my laptop is using Xircom credit card ethernet 11ps (PS-CE2-10)

wierd...

That is the exact error you will get if you are using a patch cable instead of a cross-over cable; are you 100% sure you are using a cross-over cable?

It is also the exact error you will get if your NIC is not installed correctly, or there are other NICs conflicting with it.

Under control panel and network connections how many local area connections do you have? If you have more then one then disable the ones you are not using (simply right click it and say disable)

If you are 100% sure you are using a cross-over cable and you have disabled all but one NIC and you are still getting the "cable unplugged" error then uninstall the NIC (from device manager) and then reboot and let windows install if for you again. (If windows can't find the correct drivers it will prompt you for them)

The problem has nothing to do with using the same CD or CD-Keys on both machines, so rule that out.

Which machine are you getting the "cable unpluged" error? The Desktop or Laptop? Or both?

the desktop only btw i used the same cable for my dsl modem to desktop. works fine. i did have two nic on my laptop but i unplug the other.

great discovery --->

<Micrisoft Loopback Adapter> i installed long time ago but uninstalled after does matter?

3. my adapter suppose to be NetComm’s PCI-LAN (NP-1100) but i can't install from the original software been given.

so xp installed it's own. microsoft family saomthing. why is that?

thx

Last edited:
I found this site helpful:
http://www.homenethelp.com/ [Broken]

Actually, this page from the above site:

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp [Broken]

Don't ignore the dialog on the boards. I found someone with my problem exactly, and the solution.

Njorl

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds definitely like a driver issue. That "unplugged error" message is completely annoying; from my experience 9 times out of 10 it isn’t the problem.

You first said your desktop is using a "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" and then said it is supposed to be using a "NetComm’s PCI-LAN (NP-1100)" ... I'm confused. Which adapter do you have in your desktop?

Drivers are extremely picky. You will need the exact driver made for your NIC. You can’t deviate from that at all. So if it is listing a driver name completely different then the adapter you have installed then something went wrong.

Micrisoft Loopback Adapter i installed long time ago but uninstalled after does matter?

No.

so xp installed it's own. microsoft family saomthing. why is that?

That sounds like a Microsoft client, not a driver or NIC name.

Find your NIC's driver details in device manager... right click on "My computer" then "properties" then "hardware" tab, "device manager" button, then drill down on the "network adapter" area to find the NICS driver properties. Also, pay attention for any yellow circle with a question or exclamation mark within device manager(if there are any then highlight them and remove them... when you reboot it will attempt to reinstall them if they are still present and give you the opportunity to specify the driver if WinXP can not find it)

Your hardware is probably fine and it is just an installations error that is troubling you. However, if you keep having troubles getting the correct driver installed you may want to go buy a 3com adapter for about 40-60 bucks.. They make much better NICs (in my opinion) then the ones you are dealing with.

hoho ic i need a new NIC as well as a hub haha

its just that windows xp won't allow me to install the driver from original software

it automatics install Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

congratulate me i forced windows installed the right driver -->

NP1100_4 10/100M Wake_On_LAN Fast Ethernet card

i m doing my next job

Last edited:
Njorl said:
I found this site helpful:
http://www.homenethelp.com/ [Broken]

Actually, this page from the above site:

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp [Broken]

Don't ignore the dialog on the boards. I found someone with my problem exactly, and the solution.

Njorl

hey thanks but i got a different problem to that,

btw the dialogue was hard to see

i have to expand them all =(

Last edited by a moderator:
its all done thank you all espically syano

i was ip addressing conflicting =D

1. What is a network?

A network is a group of interconnected devices and systems that communicate with each other to share resources and information.

2. What is an ADSL modem?

An ADSL modem is a device that connects a computer or network to an internet service provider (ISP) through a telephone line. It uses asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) technology to transmit and receive data at high speeds.

3. How does an ADSL modem work?

An ADSL modem works by converting digital data from a computer into analog signals that can be transmitted over a telephone line. It also receives analog signals from the telephone line and converts them back into digital data for the computer to use.

4. What are the common types of ADSL modems?

The two most common types of ADSL modems are standalone modems and modem/router combos. Standalone modems only provide internet access, while modem/router combos also have built-in routers for wireless connectivity.

5. How do I set up a network with an ADSL modem?

To set up a network with an ADSL modem, you will need to connect the modem to your computer or router using an Ethernet cable. Then, you will need to configure the modem's settings according to your ISP's instructions. You may also need to set up a network name and password for wireless networks if using a modem/router combo.