Gravity Barrier: Facts & Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "gravity barrier" and its relation to the space shuttle launch. The "gravity barrier" refers to the point at which the shuttle has enough velocity to carry itself into space without external propulsion. The escape velocity is the minimum velocity needed to escape without any other factors such as air resistance. The idea of a "gravity barrier" is not a physical barrier, but rather a simplified concept to explain the shuttle's velocity requirements. Air resistance does not affect the escape velocity, but it does require more power to reach it.
shelpdogg
gravity barrier??

Hello all...first post
I have a question about a "gravity barrier" that exists.

I was in a discussion about the space shuttle launch that took place a few weeks ago and somehow we got on the subject of a gravitational barrier. Meaning the shuttle had to break at 4000 mph for it to have enough velocity to carry itself into space...kinda like a slingshot.

Is this true...can someone explain a bit more in detail??

Sorry...I'm a tard when it comes to physics...:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
for example...

The gravity barrier is nothing as far as an actual physical barrier, like the sound. They mean that at that point the shuttle has enough velocity to carry it the rest of the way into orbit without external propulsion. I am not sure at what altitude that would need to be for the shuttle at 4K MPH. But that is what they mean by Gravity barrier. I would guess that it would need to be much greater than 4,000 mph

I would think the opposite...
If something is falling at a certain speed in which gravity makes it fall, such as a roller coaster, breaking the barrier would require propulsion of some sort to push it past the point in which gravity makes it move.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Look up something known as the 'escape velocity'.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vesc.html

This is valid under the most simplest condition without including other external factors such as air resistance and Earth's rotation.

Zz.

so basically...what I get out of this is;
escape velocity - says that kinetic energy is equal to gravitational potential energy...without any other factors such as wind resistance?

In this case, the object does have resistance.
Does the gravity barrier idea even apply?

shelpdogg said:
so basically...what I get out of this is;
escape velocity - says that kinetic energy is equal to gravitational potential energy...without any other factors such as wind resistance?

In this case, the object does have resistance.
Does the gravity barrier idea even apply?

Think about it. This is the minimum velocity needed to escape without any other factors. So if you add air resistance, do you think you would need a larger or smaller escape velocity?

Zz.

The space shuttle needs a certain velocity to reach orbit. That's the real point.

I think the idea of a "gravity barrier" is simply some popularists misguided idea to make the idea that the space shuttle needs a certain velocity to reach orbit "simpler". Don't take it too literally, or your brain will turn to sludge :-).

This is the minimum velocity needed to escape without any other factors. So if you add air resistance, do you think you would need a larger or smaller escape velocity?
I see your point...

I think the idea of a "gravity barrier" is simply some popularists misguided idea to make the idea that the space shuttle needs a certain velocity to reach orbit "simpler". Don't take it too literally, or your brain will turn to sludge :-).

I had never heard of this sort of thing...that is why I thought to ask the experts in the field. As far as my brain turning to mush over this...too late.

I like this forum...hope you don't mind if I drop by every now and then to ask dumb questions.:-p

Thanks again,
Mike

ZapperZ said:
Think about it. This is the minimum velocity needed to escape without any other factors. So if you add air resistance, do you think you would need a larger or smaller escape velocity?

Zz.
Air resistance wouldn't require a larger escape velocity, but it does require more power to reach it.

jasc15 said:
Air resistance wouldn't require a larger escape velocity, but it does require more power to reach it.
Look up the definition of escape velocity, I'm sure the word 'unpowered' (or something similar) appears in there at some point :wink:. The original question is kind of moot anyway since the escape velocity only consider the force exerted by the field.

Last edited:

Related to Gravity Barrier: Facts & Explanation

1. What is a gravity barrier?

A gravity barrier is a hypothetical concept that suggests the existence of a force field that can block or repel the effects of gravity. It is often used in science fiction as a means of creating artificial gravity or protecting a spacecraft from the pull of a planet.

2. Is there scientific evidence for the existence of a gravity barrier?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a gravity barrier. While some theories have been proposed, such as using superconductors to create a magnetic field that could counteract gravity, none have been proven to be effective.

3. Can a gravity barrier be created artificially?

As of now, there is no known way to create a gravity barrier artificially. The technology and understanding of gravity are not advanced enough to achieve this feat. However, scientists continue to study and research this concept in hopes of one day finding a way to create a gravity barrier.

4. How does a gravity barrier differ from other types of barriers?

A gravity barrier is unique in that it is not a physical barrier, but rather a force field that counteracts the effects of gravity. Other barriers, such as walls or fences, physically block objects from passing through, whereas a gravity barrier would prevent the pull of gravity from affecting objects within its field.

5. What would be the potential applications of a gravity barrier?

If a gravity barrier could be created, it could have numerous applications, such as creating artificial gravity for space travel or protecting a spacecraft from the gravitational pull of a planet. It could also potentially be used as a form of defense or to control the movement of objects in space.