Gravity and the first law of thermodynamics.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of converting energy into matter and the potential implications for gravitational pull. The first law of thermodynamics is mentioned as a potential obstacle, but it is suggested that the energy used to create matter may also contribute to gravitational potential energy. A resource is provided for further information on the topic.
Fearghus
(Not sure if anyone has asked this before)
This idea might be a little vague and I'm sure there is a simple solution but its been annoying me since I thought of it and i'd like to know the answer.

If you convert energy into matter then surely matter (with mass) exerts a gravitational pull on other matter (with mass) around it. So if energy does not exert a gravitational pull - and I assume it doesn't - then surely by changing energy to matter you create gravitational potential energy. But you can't create energy from nothing says the first law of thermodynamics, so how does this work?

Help appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Note that you said that you were converting energy into mass. Energy is being used in some way. Then, at the end, you say that energy is now present because of the presence of the mass. I'm not entirely sure how the numbers work out, but I would assume that a chunk of the energy initially put into the mass is going to the gravitational potential energy. So, it's not that the energy is coming from nowhere, but rather it's coming from the energy you initially are using to "create" matter.

Related to Gravity and the first law of thermodynamics.

1. What is the relationship between gravity and the first law of thermodynamics?

Gravity is a fundamental force that is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, the relationship between gravity and the first law of thermodynamics is that gravity plays a key role in the transfer and conversion of energy between objects.

2. How does gravity affect the energy of a system?

Gravity can affect the energy of a system in several ways. Firstly, gravity can cause potential energy to change into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when an object falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Secondly, gravity can also cause objects to lose energy through friction as they move against a surface. Lastly, gravity can also affect the temperature of a system, as it plays a role in the transfer of thermal energy between objects.

3. Can gravity violate the first law of thermodynamics?

No, gravity cannot violate the first law of thermodynamics. This law is a fundamental principle of physics and has been extensively tested and proven. Gravity is a force that acts within the constraints of this law, and it cannot create or destroy energy on its own. Any changes in energy due to gravity must adhere to the principles of the first law of thermodynamics.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to celestial bodies and their orbits?

The first law of thermodynamics applies to celestial bodies and their orbits by governing the transfer and conversion of energy between these bodies. For example, the gravitational potential energy of a planet in orbit around a star is converted into kinetic energy as it moves closer to the star, and vice versa as it moves away. This transfer of energy between celestial bodies is essential for maintaining stable orbits and the overall balance of energy in the universe.

5. Is the first law of thermodynamics always true?

Yes, the first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and found to be true in all observed situations. It is a universal law that applies to all forms of energy and has been a cornerstone of thermodynamics and other fields of science for centuries. However, as with any scientific law, it may be subject to refinement or revision as our understanding of the universe continues to grow.