Gravity and Spring + KE problem

I'll make sure to keep that in mind.In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving work and kinetic energy, with equations and attempts at solving it shown. The expert confirms that the attempt is correct, but suggests considering a free body diagram for future problems.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-8_14-21-47.png

Homework Equations

shown above

KE = .5mv^2
KE = Total Work
Total work = Work by block - work by spring

The Attempt at a Solution

Shown above.

Did i do the problem correctly? I'm always unsure if I am doing the problem right

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_14-21-47.png
    upload_2017-11-8_14-21-47.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
Lori said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214620

Homework Equations

shown above

KE = .5mv^2
KE = Total Work
Total work = Work by block - work by spring

The Attempt at a Solution

Shown above.

Did i do the problem correctly? I'm always unsure if I am doing the problem right
Yes this is right but you made this free body diagram comparing force with work done

Likes haruspex
Abhishek kumar said:
Yes this is right but you made this free body diagram comparing force with work done
Good point.

Related to Gravity and Spring + KE problem

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between two objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects on Earth, as well as the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in the universe.

2. How does gravity affect a spring?

Gravity can affect a spring by pulling it downward and stretching it out. This is because the force of gravity acts on the mass of the spring, causing it to move downward. This motion causes the spring to stretch and store potential energy.

3. How is kinetic energy related to a spring's motion?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a spring, as it is stretched and compressed due to the force of gravity, it also gains kinetic energy. When the spring is released, this stored kinetic energy is converted into motion as the spring returns to its original position.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy in a spring?

The amount of kinetic energy in a spring is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the spring, the distance the spring is stretched or compressed, and the strength of the spring itself. These factors determine how much potential energy the spring can store and convert into kinetic energy.

5. How can the potential energy of a spring be calculated?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the equation PE = (1/2)kx^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This equation takes into account the factors that affect the amount of potential energy in a spring.