Gravity and point mass confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of center of mass and its application in calculating gravitational acceleration on Earth using Newton's law of gravitation. The confusion arises from looking at Earth as a point mass and how this affects the calculation of forces. The conversation also mentions Newton's Shell Theorems as a special result that explains why a spherically symmetric mass distribution exerts the same gravitational force as if its mass were concentrated at its center.
fawk3s
I think I am missing the point of center of mass here but help me understand.

So we calculate the gravitational acceleration on Earth with the Newton's law of gravitation equation, but what gets me confused is the fact that we look at Earth as a point mass. As Earth is "big and round", I don't really understand how do these forces act in order to give us the same number in the real case as it would be in the point mass case (looking at Earth as point mass).

For example, if we sliced a thin layer out of Earth and observed it:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/324/earthmass.png

Wouldnt the point-mass case have more force acting on the person than the real case? Because the edges are further away from the person?
I mean, wouldn't there be more force acting on the person if we observed the thin layer as point mass?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that a spherically symmetric mass distribution (a shell or solid sphere) exerts the same gravitational force (for points outside its radius) as if its mass were concentrated at its center is a special result first proven by Newton himself. It's not obvious! Look up Newton's Shell Theorems.

Related to Gravity and point mass confusion

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that holds the planets, stars, and galaxies together.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attraction. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This force is inversely proportional to the distance between two objects, so the closer they are, the stronger the force of gravity.

3. What is a point mass?

A point mass is a theoretical concept used in physics to represent an object with a mass that is concentrated at a single point. In reality, all objects have a finite size and mass distribution, but for simplicity, they can be approximated as a point mass.

4. Why is there confusion surrounding point mass and gravity?

There is confusion surrounding point mass and gravity because the concept of a point mass is an idealization that does not exist in reality. In addition, our understanding of gravity is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime rather than a force.

5. Is gravity the same for all objects?

Yes, gravity affects all objects with mass in the same way. However, the strength of gravity may vary depending on the mass and distance between objects. For example, the gravity between two objects will be stronger if they are more massive and closer together.