Gravity and massless particles?

In summary, massless particles and light are affected by gravity because they have momentum and energy, even though they don't have mass.
kennethrapp
I'm sure this is a very newbie-level question, but how is it that massless particles and light are affected by gravity? I've been reading about the 'ghost condensate' theory, and the latest article in New Scientist that says these massless 'ghost' particles should have been sucked up by black holes a long time ago and so they probably don't exist anymore if they ever did. Bearing in mind I haven't got a clue about the intricacies of the ghost condensate idea beyond what I read in magazines, and that I've obviously got my idea of how gravity works wrong because light can't escape a black hole either, I've been confused on the most primal level possible with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
We ought to have the answer to this question in a FAQ, but we don't, so I'll answer. In general relativity the curved geometry, which is what gravity is, is caused by momentum, energy and the rate they are changing, not by mass by itself Massless particles have momentum and energy even though they don't have mass, so they curve spacetime geometry, and thus they gravitate.

Ok. Thank you.

kennethrapp said:
I'm sure this is a very newbie-level question, but how is it that massless particles and light are affected by gravity?
All matter has a non-zero and finite gravitational mass. Some exceptions are things which the pressure is negative and so high as to cancel the gravitational effect of the mass. but you're thinking of proper mass (aka rest mass), which is zero for some matter such as photons.

Pete

kennethrapp said:
I'm sure this is a very newbie-level question, but how is it that massless particles and light are affected by gravity?
It's not a newbie question. You would have to understand at least the basics of general relativity to know the answer to that question. Any free particle, massless or not, travels on a path through spacetime that in a certain sense is the straightest possible path. In technical terms, the particle's world line is a geodesic. The presence of a heavy object like a star curves spacetime, and the result is that the "straightest possible" paths in spacetime are not straight lines in space.

Fredrik said:
It's not a newbie question. You would have to understand at least the basics of general relativity to know the answer to that question. Any free particle, massless or not, travels on a path through spacetime that in a certain sense is the straightest possible path. In technical terms, the particle's world line is a geodesic. The presence of a heavy object like a star curves spacetime, and the result is that the "straightest possible" paths in spacetime are not straight lines in space.
One does not have to have a curved spacetime for a beam of light to be deflected. A uniform gravitational field (no spacetime curvature) will deflect light too. In fact this was the field that Einstein first used in his very first article (1907) on the equivalence principle.

Pete

Related to Gravity and massless particles?

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes all objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is described by the theory of general relativity, which states that the presence of mass in a region of space causes that space to curve, and other objects in that space will follow that curvature and be attracted towards the mass.

2. Can massless particles be affected by gravity?

Yes, even though massless particles such as photons have no mass, they still have energy and momentum, which can be affected by gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force acting between masses, but rather the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

3. Why do massless particles travel at the speed of light?

Massless particles, such as photons, do not have mass, which means they do not experience the effects of inertia. As a result, they can travel at the speed of light, which is the maximum speed possible in our universe.

4. How is the mass of a particle related to its gravitational pull?

According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

5. Can massless particles create gravitational fields?

No, since massless particles do not have mass, they do not create a gravitational field. However, they can still be affected by the gravitational fields created by massive objects, such as stars and planets.