Gravity and Inertia: Similar but not Equivalent

In summary, if you are on a planet, you will experience tidal forces between floor and ceiling. If you are not on a planet, you will not experience tidal forces between floor and ceiling.
Ontophobe
I just heard something that made me realize I was taking the equivalence principle way too literally. If I were in a windowless room, and was standing on its floor, then there is, in principle, a performable experiment by which I could determine whether I was moving upward at 1 g of acceleration, or whether I was standing on a massive body generating 1 g of gravity. I always thought such an experiment was impossible, but gravity causes tidal forces while acceleration doesn't. Or does it? Are they equivalent or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how big your room is, and how long the experiment is carried out (for a given level of precision of the measuring instruments).

Lines of gravitational force are not parallel, and gravitational field strength drops off as altitude increases.

Ontophobe said:
gravity causes tidal forces while acceleration doesn't
This is one place where the difference between pop-sci sources and professional sources becomes important. Any professional source would specify that the region of space and time covered by the room and its experiments must be small enough that tidal gravity is undetectable. Pop-sci sources usually neglect that detail in order to get to the splashy stuff.

Ontophobe said:
I just heard something

Where?

Ontophobe said:
If I were in a windowless room, and was standing on its floor, then there is, in principle, a performable experiment by which I could determine whether I was moving upward at 1 g of acceleration, or whether I was standing on a massive body generating 1 g of gravity.

What experiment?

Ontophobe said:
gravity causes tidal forces while acceleration doesn't.
Non-uniform gravity does. The equivalence applies to uniform gravity.

The keyword here is 'local'. Locally in spacetime a gravitational field can be described by an observer as if he/she is accelerating.

Ontophobe said:
I just heard something that made me realize I was taking the equivalence principle way too literally. If I were in a windowless room, and was standing on its floor, then there is, in principle, a performable experiment by which I could determine whether I was moving upward at 1 g of acceleration, or whether I was standing on a massive body generating 1 g of gravity. I always thought such an experiment was impossible, but gravity causes tidal forces while acceleration doesn't. Or does it? Are they equivalent or not?

Well, if you're standing on a planet, there are two relevant properties of the gravitational field: (1) The acceleration due to gravity at your location, and (2) how the acceleration due to gravity changes with location. Sufficiently precise measurements can you tell you both properties, but the most immediately striking effects of gravity only involve (1). You drop something, it accelerates to the floor. You shoot a light beam straight up, and it undergoes gravitational redshift. You move a clock to the top of a mountain, and it undergoes gravitational time dilation. These effects don't depend on (2). Any effect that only depends on the strength of gravity at a point, as opposed to its variation with location, can't distinguish the gravity of a planet and the "pseudo-gravity" of an accelerating rocket. Measurements of the variation of gravity with location can indeed distinguish these cases (because precise measurements of the variation with location tells you the spacetime curvature, which in turn tells you about the presence of gravitating matter).

Also (in the case of a rocket ship whose mass is not enormous compared to yours) every time you jump up and down in the ship, the force on test objects will be momentarily reduced.

Ontophobe said:

Look at it this way. You are in such a room and do an experiment to test for tidal force between floor and ceiling and come up with a null result. Can you now definitely say that you are accelerating?. What if you are just on a very massive body with a radius that gives it a 1g surface gravity, one so huge, that the gravity difference is between floor and ceiling is too small for you to measure? Even if you increase the sensitivity of your experiment, all you are doing is setting a lower limit to the mass of the body and your distance from the center. No matter how accurately you can measure the tidal force across the room, you can never totally eliminate the possibility that you are simply at rest with respect to a very massive and very distant mass.

Related to Gravity and Inertia: Similar but not Equivalent

What is the difference between gravity and inertia?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other, while inertia is an object's tendency to resist changes in its motion.

Are gravity and inertia related?

Yes, they are both fundamental principles of physics and are related to each other in the sense that they both affect the motion of objects.

Why are gravity and inertia often considered similar but not equivalent?

Gravity and inertia are often considered similar because they both involve the motion of objects, but they are not equivalent because inertia is a property of an object while gravity is a force acting on that object.

Does gravity affect inertia?

Yes, gravity can affect an object's inertia by changing its velocity or direction of motion.

How is the concept of gravity and inertia important in understanding the universe?

The concepts of gravity and inertia are crucial in understanding the motion of objects in the universe, from the movement of planets and stars to the behavior of particles at the quantum level.