Gravity and General Relativity: The Curvature of Space-Time

• Thread starter ElectroViruz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses gravity in general relativity and how it is represented by space-time curvature. The question is posed about what would happen to the curvature of two bodies with the same mass when they are about to collide. It is mentioned that Einstein's equations are non-linear and therefore, gravitation does not simply add up as a superposition. However, in most cases, only the linear terms are relevant.
ElectroViruz
Spacetime_curvature.png

According to what I understand about gravity in general relativity, is that it's a space time curvature (like the picture above).

I'm just a little curious. Let's say if there are two bodies with gravity with same mass, (assume two planets in 2D view)

FEuvUvB.png

That (above) would be what the curvature look like when they're far enough.

But when they're about to collide into each other, what would happen to the curvature ?

rVGLoIL.png

Would they form a constructive curve ? (Therefore increasing it's gravitational force isn't it ?)

Or

V1sQJT6.png

Would they still collide but maintain both it's curvature ?

Thanks in advance.

*I wouldn't say I know much about general relativity

Physics news on Phys.org
ElectroViruz said:
According to what I understand about gravity in general relativity, is that it's a space time curvature (like the picture above).

Yes, it is space-time curvature but no, it is not like the picture, which only shows spatial curvature.

ElectroViruz said:
Would they still collide but maintain both it's curvature ?

Einstein's equations are non-linear so yes, gravitation does not simply add up as a superposition. However, in most cases you will encounter, only the linear terms are relevant.

Orodruin said:
Yes, it is space-time curvature but no, it is not like the picture, which only shows spatial curvature.
Einstein's equations are non-linear so yes, gravitation does not simply add up as a superposition. However, in most cases you will encounter, only the linear terms are relevant.

Thank you so much. Just the answer I needed.

Related to Gravity and General Relativity: The Curvature of Space-Time

1. What does "when gravity meets gravity" mean?

When gravity meets gravity refers to the interaction between two massive objects in space, such as planets or stars, that are attracted to each other due to their gravitational forces.

2. How does gravity affect objects in space?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. In space, gravity is responsible for the orbits of planets around the sun and the moon around the Earth. It also affects the trajectory of objects and the formation of galaxies.

3. Can gravity be turned off or controlled?

No, gravity cannot be turned off or controlled. It is a natural force that exists in the universe and is always present. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the thrust of a rocket or the centrifugal force of a spinning object.

4. How is gravity related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This means that the more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational pull and the more it curves space and time around it.

5. Is there a limit to how strong gravity can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how strong gravity can be. According to the theory of general relativity, there is a point in space called a singularity where the force of gravity becomes infinite. This is believed to occur in the center of a black hole.