Gravity and Energy Conservation in Stars: Understanding Gravitational Collapse

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation g(r)=G m(r)/r^2, which describes the acceleration of each mass element towards the center. The inward velocity can be found using the conservation of energy equation. The conversation also mentions a diffraction experiment involving a red laser and nail clippers, which resulted in a rotated line on the wall. The individual is seeking clarification and knowledge on the topic.
bootsam
i am a little stuck on this, can someone please put me straight

This is from P7 of The Physics of Stars by AC Phillips

[tex]

g(r)=G m(r)/r^2

[/tex]

which states that each mass element at r moves towards the centre with an acceleration g(r). He then goes on to state that the inward velocity of the element can "be found from the conservation of energy equation."

[tex]
1/2 [ \frac {dr} {dt} ] ^2 = G m_o /r - G m_o /r_o
[/tex]

Now i know that both sides have been integrated but i thought the integral of

[tex]

\frac {d^2r} {dt^2} = \frac {dr} {dt}

[/tex]

forgive my tex errors :) the damn things buggy :0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i shone a red laser through a prism then through the gap on some nail clippers as i reduced the gap manually and onto my wall, the laser dot reduced to a wide straight line as i reduced the clipper gap, brighter in the middle but the line was rotated 90deg to the orientation of the nail clipper slot. why is that? have i just carried out a very inpromptu diffraction experiment?

please forgive my niaivity...i am a novice just embarking on his quest for knowledge

Related to Gravity and Energy Conservation in Stars: Understanding Gravitational Collapse

1. What is gravitational collapse?

Gravitational collapse is a phenomenon in which a massive object, such as a star, collapses under its own weight due to the force of gravity. This can result in the formation of a black hole or a neutron star.

2. How does gravitational collapse occur?

Gravitational collapse occurs when the outward pressure of a star's nuclear fusion reactions can no longer counteract the force of gravity pulling inwards. This can happen when a star runs out of nuclear fuel or when it reaches a certain point in its evolution.

3. What are the effects of gravitational collapse?

The effects of gravitational collapse can vary depending on the size and type of the collapsing object. In some cases, it can lead to the formation of a black hole, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape. In other cases, it can result in the formation of a neutron star, a highly dense and compact object.

4. Can we observe gravitational collapse?

Yes, we can observe the effects of gravitational collapse through various telescopes and instruments. For example, we can detect the gravitational waves produced by the collision of two neutron stars or the formation of a black hole. We can also observe the changes in light and radiation emitted by collapsing objects.

5. Is gravitational collapse a common occurrence?

Gravitational collapse is a natural process that occurs throughout the universe, but it is not a common occurrence on a human timescale. Most stars do not experience gravitational collapse until they reach the end of their lives, and the formation of black holes and neutron stars is relatively rare compared to the number of stars in the universe.