Gravitons in the 5th Dimension

In summary, according to this theory, there are at least 4 spatial dimensions, and that gravitons exist in the 4th one. This could explain why gravity is so weak, and new theories of gravity are being developed to take into account this extra dimension.
SmarterThanGod
Can someone please explain to me or direct me to a website about the theory that there are 4 spatial dimensions, and that gravitons exist in the 4th one. I am now aware of this theory, and that this could explain why gravity is so weak. I find this really interesting, and would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't heard of any theory of which you describe, however, it does sound very similar to what current flavor of string theory has to say. In string theory(s) there are many demensions(11 last time I looked) and it is theorized that unlike the 3 other fundamental forces, gravity was not bound to our 4 demensions.

The explanation of this according to my understanding of string theory is that our 4 dimensions make up of a plane in which strings(the smallest constituent particle of string theory) would attach to, so they were more like loops(with both ends firmly attached to the space occupied by our 4 dimensions) then O-shaped strings. Gravity is unlike the other forces and is a full string(not bound to our dimensional plane) and thus not bound to our dimension. If this is true, it would explain why gravity is so much weaker then other fundamental forces.

String theory is kinda out there but it does have a lot of mathematical evidence that suggests it COULD possibly be on the verge of some pretty amazing scientific break-throughs(or it could also be just one big waste of time, but such is the risk of science)

Last edited:
There was an article on this in the February 2004 edition of the Scientific American. You might be able to check it out at their website at www.sciam.com

Edit: I just checked the website and it looks like they took it off already. It was a special report called 'Four Keys to the Cosmos'.

Last edited:
Originally posted by SmarterThanGod
Can someone please explain to me or direct me to a website about the theory that there are 4 spatial dimensions, and that gravitons exist in the 4th one. I am now aware of this theory, and that this could explain why gravity is so weak. I find this really interesting, and would appreciate any help.

Most Kaluza-Klein theories of gravity are 5-dimensional, so that could be one possible candidate of what you're mentioning.

Alternatively, this could also be a theory of large extra dimensions (LED), which predicts that there are at least 2 extra sub-millimeter dimensions (i.e. not compactified) in which gravitation can travel but not the other forces. This is used to help explain the hierarchy problem between the fundamental forces. If correct, amongst other testable quantities we should expect to see deviations from Newtonian gravity at distance scales of a few micrometers.

Stephen Hawkins' book, 'The Universe in a nutshell' covers this topic and is a (fairly!) easy read. You may find it interesting. I certainly did!

Related to Gravitons in the 5th Dimension

What are gravitons?

Gravitons are theoretical particles that are thought to be responsible for the force of gravity in the universe. They are predicted by the theory of quantum mechanics and are believed to be massless and spin-2 particles.

What is the 5th dimension?

The 5th dimension is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of additional spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we are familiar with. It is often used in theories such as string theory and Kaluza-Klein theory.

How do gravitons exist in the 5th dimension?

According to some theories, gravitons may exist in the 5th dimension because they are not bound to our 3-dimensional space like other particles. They can move freely between dimensions, which allows them to influence and interact with matter in our 3-dimensional world through the force of gravity.

Why are gravitons important in understanding the 5th dimension?

Gravitons are important in understanding the 5th dimension because they represent a bridge between the 5th dimension and our 3-dimensional world. They provide a possible explanation for the force of gravity and how it may interact with other fundamental forces in the universe.

How are scientists studying gravitons in the 5th dimension?

Scientists are studying gravitons in the 5th dimension through various theoretical models and experiments. Some of these experiments involve high-energy particle accelerators, while others explore the effects of gravity on the movement of objects in different dimensions. However, the existence of gravitons in the 5th dimension is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.