Gravitional Potential Energy Question

In summary: It is hard to get used to working with energy when you are used to forces - you just have to get used to it.You need to get used to the fact that potential energy is a scalar.
squirrelschaser

Homework Statement

Planet 1 has mass 3M and radius R, while Planet 2 has mass 4Mand radius 2R. They are separated by center-to-center distance 8R. A rock is placed halfway between their centers at point O. It is released from rest. Ignore any motion of the planets.
The rock is released from rest at point O. Derive an expression for the speed v with which the rock crashes into a planet.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 *m *v^2
PE = GMm/R

The Attempt at a Solution

(3GMm/4R) -4GMm/4R = .5mV^2 + (3GMm/6R) - (4GMm/2R)

-1GMm/4R = (.5mV^2) - (3GMm/2R)

5GMm/4R = .5mV^2

5GMm/2R = mV^2

5GM/2R = V^2

(2.5GM/R)^(1/2) = V (My answer)

(1.5GM/R)^(1/2) = V (Actual answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your reasoning.
Note - how far is point O from each of the centers?

squirrelschaser said:
PE = GMm/R

Check the sign of the right hand side.

The Attempt at a Solution

(3GMm/4R) -4GMm/4R = .5mV^2 + (3GMm/6R) - (4GMm/2R)

Why are some of your PE terms positive while others are negative?

Simon Bridge said:
Please show your reasoning.
Note - how far is point O from each of the centers?

4R. IT's halfway between the center and center point. So 8R/2.

TSny said:
Check the sign of the right hand side.
Why are some of your PE terms positive while others are negative?
Not sure. I arbitrarily chose the attraction to the left as positive (PE from the moon) and the attraction to the right as negative (PE from the Earth).

Should they all be negative?

4R. IT's halfway between the center and center point. So 8R/2.
... hence the 4R in your equations?
What about showing the reasoning?

Not sure. I arbitrarily chose the attraction to the left as positive (PE from the moon) and the attraction to the right as negative (PE from the Earth).
You should not be arbitrary - use your understanding of physics. Note: potential energy is not a vector.

Simon Bridge said:
... hence the 4R in your equations?
What about showing the reasoning?

?.

Simon Bridge said:
You should not be arbitrary - use your understanding of physics. Note: potential energy is not a vector.

Well maybe not arbitrarily, I thought since the 2 PE are in opposite direction, one would be positive and one would be negative.

I will try this it with all the PE as negative values.

Last edited:
-(3GMm/4R) -4GMm/4R = .5mV^2 - (3GMm/6R) - (4GMm/2R)

-7GMm/4R = .5mV^2 - 15GMm/6R

9GMm/12R = .5V^2

9GM/12R = .5V^2

18GM/12R = V^2

sqrt(1.5GM/R) = V.

Alrighty, I got the answer. I knew that PE isn't a vector, but it didn't make sense to me (logically) that a PE in another direction is the same sign as PE in another direction. (There's a picture that came along with the problem and the moon and the Earth were on opposite side of the object). It make sense on paper then since scalar quantities don't have direction but it's kinda counter-intuitive for me( still is).

I knew that PE isn't a vector, but it didn't make sense to me (logically) that a PE in [one] direction is the same sign as PE in another direction.
Since PE is not a vector, there is no such thing as "PE in a particular direction". This is the statement that makes no sense.

It is hard to get used to working with energy when you are used to forces - you just have to get used to it.

PE is a property of an object at a position - the PE at a particular position is the sum of the PE at the same position from all sources.
The gradient of the PE function tells you the force ... this is probably what you are intuitively thinking of as PE in one direction or another.

Related to Gravitional Potential Energy Question

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the ability of an object to do work when it is moved from its current position to a different position.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point.

3. What factors affect gravitational potential energy?

The two main factors that affect gravitational potential energy are the mass of the object and its height from a reference point. The higher the mass and the greater the height, the more gravitational potential energy an object has.

4. How does gravitational potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of mechanical energy and are directly related. As an object falls from a higher position, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. At the bottom of its fall, all of the initial gravitational potential energy is converted to kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy?

Some examples of gravitational potential energy include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a person standing on a diving board, a pendulum at its highest point, and a book on a shelf. In each of these cases, the object has potential energy due to its position in a gravitational field.