Gravitational Waves Speed: Can We Observe It?

In summary, with our current technology it is difficult to directly measure the speed of gravitational waves due to the lack of a controllable source. However, recent measurements from LIGO have provided an upper bound on their speed and there is indirect evidence supporting the prediction that they travel at the speed of light. With more detectors, direct estimates of the speed may be possible in the future.
KarminValso1724
To me, it seems that with our current technology it would be difficult to observe the speed of gravitational waves. Can anyone correct me if I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
KarminValso1724 said:
To me, it seems that with our current technology it would be difficult to observe the speed of gravitational waves. Can anyone correct me if I am wrong?

no doubt about difficulties...but it was announced recently by an international team of 'measurement' people and about three /five months of data analysis and sifting through the huge reading...check and recheck it was confirmed and published in journal. the path difference was of the order of 1.0*E-18 m so the difficulty is very much there.

KarminValso1724 said:
it seems that with our current technology it would be difficult to observe the speed of gravitational waves

We don't have a way to directly measure the speed of gravitational waves because we don't have a source of them that we can control experimentally, in order to turn it on or off at will and make measurements. The best we can do is to extract bounds on the speed from other measurements, such as the ones recently made by LIGO. So far all the data is consistent with GWs moving at the speed of light, which is what GR predicts. But there isn't very much data.

We've currently only got two gravitational wave detectors. This only let's us put an upper bound on their speed (1.7c at the moment, I think) since we don't know where they are coming from. There is some indirect evidence that they travel at the speed of light, in that there was no dispersion.

When we have more detectors, direct estimates of the speed will be possible.

Related to Gravitational Waves Speed: Can We Observe It?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are produced by the movement of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How fast do gravitational waves travel?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravitational waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. Can we observe the speed of gravitational waves?

Yes, we can observe the speed of gravitational waves by measuring the time it takes for them to reach Earth from their source. The recent detection of gravitational waves by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) has provided evidence for their existence and speed.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the speed of gravitational waves?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the speed of gravitational waves is constant and is not affected by the mass or distance of the objects producing them. However, some alternative theories of gravity suggest that the speed of gravitational waves may vary slightly.

5. What is the significance of observing the speed of gravitational waves?

Observing the speed of gravitational waves provides further evidence for the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity and helps us better understand the nature of gravity. It also opens up new possibilities for studying the universe, such as using gravitational waves to detect and study black holes and other distant objects that are not visible through traditional telescopes.