Gravitational waves adn Black holes frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on "Exact Gravitational Quasinormal Frequencies of Topological Black Holes" and the meaning of gravitational quasinormal modes of topological black holes. It is mentioned that these modes refer to the frequencies of scalar, vector, and tensor modes in black holes, with the smallest imaginary part being the actual mode. There is also a mention of anti de Sitter black holes and massless black holes.
supakorn
I'm reading this paper "Exact Gravitational Quasinormal Frequencies of Topological Black Holes"

...By D. Birmingham and S. Mokhtari : http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0609028v2"
and now i confusing what are meaning of gravitational quasinormal modes of Topological Black holes?.

Can i say that gravitational quasinormal modes of Topological Black holes are the frequencies of Topological Black holes?

Best regards

Supakorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Supakorn

You wrote:
supakorn said:
I'm reading this paper "Exact Gravitational Quasinormal Frequencies of Topological Black Holes"
what are gravitational quasinormal modes of Topological Black holes?
Can i say that gravitational quasinormal modes of Topological Black holes are the frequencies of Topological Black holes?
Supakorn

I have downloaded the file too and will look into it. Intuitively I would say topological means here that possibly the black holes do not have perfect rotational symmetry and the Schwartschild surface perhaps not perfectly round. The word mode perhaps changing from one to another. Quasinormal; normal being right angles to another and quasi meaning almost? I definitally say that the sentence is frequencies of gravitational modes and not of TBH.
I'll look into it and you will hear from me again. At forward thanks for pointing out the article.

Janm

OK read the paper and found:
modes are scalar, vector or tensor. The frequencies are complex number with negative imaginary part. That is why they are called quasinormal. The mode with frequencies with the smallest imaginary part is actual. I don't know what anti de Sitter black holes are...
In the tensor mode also is spoken of massles black holes...
All the way interesting...
Janm

thank you so much.

supakorn said:
thank you so much.
Hello suprakorn. So you make no objections whatsoever if somebody speaks of massless black holes? I made my objections even when people spoke of black holes! Had to wear a special mouthpiece for that!
greetings Janm

Related to Gravitational waves adn Black holes frequency

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using extremely precise instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the length of two perpendicular laser beams caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the frequency of gravitational waves?

The frequency of gravitational waves depends on the mass and speed of the objects that are creating them. The frequency of gravitational waves from black holes can range from less than 1 Hz to more than 10,000 Hz.

4. Can black holes emit gravitational waves?

Yes, black holes can emit gravitational waves when they are in the process of merging with another black hole or when they are accreting matter from a nearby star. These events can generate incredibly powerful gravitational waves.

5. How do black holes affect the frequency of gravitational waves?

The frequency of gravitational waves from black holes is affected by the mass and speed of the black holes, as well as their distance from each other. As the black holes spiral closer and closer together, the frequency of the gravitational waves increases until they eventually merge and create a final burst of gravitational waves.