Gravitational Time Dilation Inside the Sun

Mikael17
TL;DR Summary
time dilatation inside the sun
How can time dilation, lets say 500000 km inside the sun be calculated ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the appropriate spacetime metric, which i must admit I don't know. Try searching the Internet for it.

This would be the interior Schwarzschild metric:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_Schwarzschild_metric

One of the assumptions is constant density, so that probably isn’t the best assumption, but it should be a reasonable approximation given the resulting simplification

Likes PeroK and Ibix
Dale said:
One of the assumptions is constant density, so that probably isn’t the best assumption, but it should be a reasonable approximation given the resulting simplification
To do much better you'd need a density and pressure profile, and I would suspect you'd have to do it numerically. Especially if you stopped pretending it was a non-rotating sphere.

Likes PeterDonis and Dale
Ibix said:
To do much better you'd need a density and pressure profile, and I would suspect you'd have to do it numerically. Especially if you stopped pretending it was a non-rotating sphere.
Yes. I agree that anything more exact than this would probably have to be numerical.

Last edited:
Here is a "recipe" from MTW's Gravitation:

1709399259324.png

1709399358881.png

Likes PeterDonis, PeroK and Ibix
Is ##n## (23.28c and d) defined somewhere? Number density of particles?

Ibix said:
Is ##n## (23.28c and d) defined somewhere? Number density of particles?
Here:
1709400821186.png

Likes PeterDonis and Ibix
Ibix said:
Dale said:
This would be the interior Schwarzschild metric:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_Schwarzschild_metric

Dale said:
Yes. I agree that anything more exact than this would probably have to be numerical.
The weak field approximation is going to be way more accurate than the interior Schwarzschild metric in this case. Input a solar model for the density and voila.

(I actually did this computation not too long ago for a cosmology course I took for undisclosed reasons. The teacher was somehow surprised when I used the standard solar model for the density profile 😉)

Likes Nugatory, Ibix and Dale
Orodruin said:
The weak field approximation is going to be way more accurate than the interior Schwarzschild metric in this case. Input a solar model for the density and voila.
I have to admit that it didn’t even occur to me!