Gravitational Redshift for Photon around Kerr Black Hole

In summary, the expression for gravitational redshift in the Kerr spacetime is \alpha=\frac{\rho}{\Sigma}\sqrt{\Delta}, where \rho=\sqrt{r^2+a^2 cos^2\theta}, \Sigma=\sqrt{(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta sin^2\theta}, and \Delta=r^{2}+a^{2}-2Mr. This expression reduces to the Schwarzschild solution in the limit a\rightarrow 0. It also shows that the gravitational redshift depends on both the radial coordinate r and the angular coordinate \theta, as well as the spin parameter a. This is different from the Schwarzschild case where the redshift only depends on
Ruf30
I have a hopefully straightforward question. It is well known that in the Schwarzschild metric the gravitational redshift is given by [tex]1+z=(1-r_{s}/r)^{-1/2}[/tex]. Clearly this is just the ratio of observed to emitted frequencies (or energies). I understand this so far. However, for the case of the Kerr spacetime, in Boyer-Lindquist coordinates
[tex]ds^{2}=\bigg(1-\frac{2Mr}{\Sigma}\bigg)dt^{2}+\frac{4aMr \sin^{2}\theta}{\Sigma}dt d\phi-\frac{\Sigma}{\Delta}dr^{2}-\Sigma d\theta^{2}-\bigg(r^{2}+a^{2}+\frac{2a^{2}Mr \sin^{2}\theta}{\Sigma} \bigg)\sin^{2}\theta d\phi^{2},[/tex]
where

[tex]\Sigma \equiv r^{2}+a^{2}\cos^{2}\theta[/tex] and [tex]\Delta \equiv r^{2}-2Mr+a^{2}.[/tex]This asymptotes to the Schwarzschild case in the limit [tex]a\rightarrow 0[/tex]

For the Schwarzschild black hole [tex]1+z=(g_{tt})^{-1/2}[/tex]. I believe this is not the case for the Kerr spacetime (because of frame-dragging in the cross-term?).

What is the expression for the gravitational redshift in the Kerr spacetime for a photon (I can list the geodesic equations of motion if needed)? Or, how would one go about deriving such a formula? Presumably there would be some [tex]r[/tex] as well as [tex]\theta[/tex] -dependence in said expression (as well as spin, a)?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help, please?

Likes Anuj Kumar Dubey
Gravitational redshift for the Kerr metric is-

[tex]\alpha=\frac{\rho}{\Sigma}\sqrt{\Delta}[/tex]

where

[tex]\rho=\sqrt{r^2+a^2 cos^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma=\sqrt{(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta sin^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta= r^{2}+a^{2}-2Mr[/tex]

(note the above is a slightly different version of expressing Kerr metric to the one in your first post but the equations/maths are the same)

The above reduces to the Schwarzschild solution when a=0 [itex](\alpha=\sqrt{1 - 2M/r})[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks stevebd1,

I take it that [tex]\alpha \equiv (1+z)^{-1}[/tex], where z is redshift?

In order to calculate gravitational redshift, you have to specify which observer emits the photon and which observer receives the photon.

Ruf30 said:
I take it that [tex]\alpha \equiv (1+z)^{-1}[/tex], where z is redshift?

This is correct for an observer at infinity where z is the fractional shift in a spectral wavelength ([itex]\alpha[/itex] is sometimes referred to as the reduction factor). You can also say for a rotating object-

[tex]z=\Sigma\left(\rho\sqrt{\Delta}\right)^{-1}-1[/tex]

which reduces to the Schwarzschild solution when a=0-

[tex]z=\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1/2}-1[/tex]

Ruf30 said:
[tex]1+z=(g_{tt})^{-1/2}[/tex]

Yes, this is the expression for Kerr gravitational redshift.
stevebd1 said:
[tex]\alpha=\frac{\rho}{\Sigma}\sqrt{\Delta}[/tex]

Yes, this is the expression for Kerr gravitational redshift.

How can both of these expressions be the expression for Kerr gravitational redshift? :biggrin: They relate exchange of photons between different pairs of observers.

Given the thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=309048,

I suspect that neither of these expressions is the expression in which you're (Ruf30) really interested, i.e., you're really interested in exchange of photons between a completely different pair of observers.

It might be fun to work through the math, and the physics behind the math, of the derivations of above expressions. Maybe we should start with
Ruf30 said:
It is well known that in the Schwarzschild metric the gravitational redshift is given by [tex]1+z=(1-r_{s}/r)^{-1/2}[/tex].

How is this expression derived?

Thank you George and stevebd1,

It is true that these expressions are only valid for an observer at infinity. You are right George, neither is what I'm truly interested in. As you know from my previous thread, I'm imaging accretion discs (and tori) around Kerr black holes. It's easier if I explain what I am doing before I ask a question, so as to have some idea of context. I apologize for the inevitable length of this post.

First of all, redshift is defined by ([tex]E=h\nu[/tex]):
[tex](1+z)=\frac{\nu_{0}}{\nu}=\frac{(p_{\beta}u^{\beta})_{\lambda}}{(p_{\alpha}u^{\alpha})_{\infty}}[/tex].

For an (stationary) observer at infinity, or in the case I am working with, at say 200 gravitational radii from the black hole centre, [tex]u^{r},u^{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]u^{\phi}[/tex] are all zero, hence the only contribution is [tex]p_{t}\dot{t}[/tex]. Also, [tex]\dot{t}_{obs}[/tex] is determined in the initial conditions, and [tex]p_{t}\equiv -E[/tex], which is also computed in the initial conditions (and is constant).

I have no problem in finding the redshift of an observer relative to emission from a material particle on the disc surface: We simply find the components of the four-velocity of a point on the disc. The flow is rotationally supported in the [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] directions, thus [tex]\dot{r}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] are zero. One also finds expressions for [tex]\dot{t}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{\phi}[/tex], but I won't list them here (quite long).

I take the disc as lying in the equatorial plane, so setting [tex]\theta=\pi/2[/tex] simplifies the expressions considerably. With [tex]E_{em(disc)}=p_{t}u^{t}+p_{\phi}u^{\phi}=p_{t}u^{t}\Big(1+\Omega_{k}\frac{p_{\phi}}{p_{t}} \Big)=p_{t}u^{t}\Big(1-\Omega_{k}\frac{L}{E} \Big)=p_{t}\dot{t}_{em(disc)}\Big(1-\Omega_{k}\frac{L}{E} \Big)[/tex] ,

[tex]E_{obs}=p_{t}\dot{t}_{obs}[/tex],
we find the redshift of the observer relative to disc emission as

[tex](1+z)=\frac{\dot{t}_{em}}{\dot{t}_{obs}}\Big(1-\Omega_{k}\frac{L}{E} \Big)[/tex] , where

[tex]\Omega_{k}=(r^{3/2}+a)^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{t}_{em}=\bigg(\Omega_{k}\sqrt{r}\sqrt{r^{2}-3r+2a\sqrt{r}}\bigg)^{-1}[/tex].

I've included a redshift map of a Schwarzschild accretion disc, viewed at an angle of 75 degrees from the vertical. You can see the features I mention in my previous post.

In reality I'm beyond this and am now looking at solving the local G.R. radiative transfer equation:
[tex]\frac{d\textit{I}}{ds}=-\chi \textit{I}+\eta \Big(\frac{\nu_{0}}{\nu}\Big)^{3}[/tex], where

[tex]\textit{I}=I/\nu^{3}[/tex], [tex]\chi = \frac{\nu_{0}}{\nu}\chi_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\eta=(\nu/\nu_{0})^{2}\eta_{0}[/tex]; observer - no subscript, local frame - sunscript '0'.

I must solve the transfer equation once I have computed the geodesic for a photon (I'm looking to plot intensity maps and eventually spectra). My problem is how do I find the redshift [tex]\nu_{0}/\nu[/tex] of a photon at each point along its path ([tex]\small{ds}[/tex]) after disc emission relative to the observer, who is not an infinite distance away.

I'm having problems with this because, photons are null geodesics, so [tex]p_{\beta}u^{\beta}\equiv 2\textsl{H}[/tex], the Hamiltonian, which is zero for photons. This means the redshift after emission from the disc to the observer, at each point along the geodesic is zero (well, (1+z)=0, due to energy conservation)?

How does one find the redshift of the photon at each point along its geodesic path back to the observer, relative to this observer, if said observer is a finite distance from the black hole?

Attachments

• a=0_75degrees_highres.jpg
    a=0_75degrees_highres.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 630

Related to Gravitational Redshift for Photon around Kerr Black Hole

1. What is gravitational redshift?

Gravitational redshift is a phenomenon where the wavelength of light is stretched as it travels through a gravitational field, resulting in a shift towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. How does a Kerr black hole affect gravitational redshift for photons?

A Kerr black hole, which is a rotating black hole, has a stronger gravitational field compared to a non-rotating black hole. This results in a larger shift in the wavelength of light passing through it, known as the gravitational redshift.

3. What is the relationship between the mass and gravitational redshift of a Kerr black hole?

The mass and gravitational redshift of a Kerr black hole are directly proportional. This means that a larger mass will result in a larger gravitational redshift, and vice versa.

4. Can gravitational redshift be observed around a Kerr black hole?

Yes, gravitational redshift has been observed around a Kerr black hole in the form of X-ray spectra from accreting black holes. These observations have provided evidence for the existence of Kerr black holes in the universe.

5. How does gravitational redshift around a Kerr black hole affect the escape velocity of photons?

The gravitational redshift increases the effective mass of a black hole, which in turn increases the escape velocity of photons. This means that it becomes more difficult for photons to escape the gravitational pull of a Kerr black hole, resulting in a larger redshift.