Gravitational redshift equation

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation for gravitational redshift, which is given by the ratio of the shifted wavelength to the rest wavelength. The equation takes into account the mass of the gravitating body, the distance from the body, and the speed of light. It was also noted that as the distance from the body increases, the redshift also increases. However, with a constant distance and increasing mass, the gravitational redshift is reduced. The conversation also addressed a discrepancy in the binomial expansion of the equation and clarified the physical interpretation of the equation.
Zman
Gravitational redshift is given by the following approximate equation;

[tex]
\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o} = 1 - \frac{GM}{r c^2}
[/tex]

From http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/GravitationalRedshift.html

Where [tex] \lambda [/tex] is the shifted wavelength and [tex] \lambda_o [/tex] is the rest wavelength.
r is the distance from the gravitating body with mass M
The photon is being emitted from the surface of M directly away from the centre of M.

As r is increased and M constant, the redshift is increased as I expected. The photon has to climb further which reduces its energy which is expressed as a larger wavelength or lower frequency.

But with r held constant and M increased, I expected the energy loss of the photon to be increased at r. The photon now travels through a stronger gravitational field and should lose more energy than when traveling through a weak gravitational field.

But the equation above tells me that if r is held constant and M increased, then the gravitational redshift is reduced.

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zman said:

[tex]
[/tex]

Where [tex] \lambda [/tex] is the shifted wavelength and [tex] \lambda_o [/tex] is the rest wavelength.
The photon is being emitted from the surface of M directly away from the centre of M.

As r is increased and M constant, the redshift is increased as I expected. The photon has to climb further which reduces its energy which is expressed as a larger wavelength or lower frequency.

But with r held constant and M increased, I expected the energy loss of the photon to be increased at r. The photon now travels through a stronger gravitational field and should lose more energy than when traveling through a weak gravitational field.

But the equation above tells me that if r is held constant and M increased, then the gravitational redshift is reduced.

Where am I going wrong?

r is the radius at which the photon is emitted and had rest wavelength [itex] \lambda_o [/itex].
r is not the location of the observer or the photon in its travels. The location of the observer in this equation is always at infinity.

It seems that the wolfram website you quote got it wrong. The Wiki website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_redshift gives the redshift (z) as:

[tex]
z= \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - \frac{2GM}{r c^2})}} -1 = \frac{\lambda - \lambda_o}{\lambda_o}
[/tex]

So:

[tex]
\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - \frac{2GM}{r c^2})}}
[/tex]

Expressed like this the redshift ratio is unity when there is no redshift (eg when M=0) and tends towards infinite as r tends towards 2GM/c^2.

More generally:

[tex]
\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o}=\frac{\sqrt{(1 - \frac{2GM}{R c^2})}}{\sqrt{(1 - \frac{2GM}{r c^2})} }
[/tex]

where r is the location where the photon is emitted and has wavelength [itex] \lambda_o [/itex] and R is the location where the photon is received and the observer at R measures the the wavelength to be [itex] \lambda [/itex]

If the observer is below the source (R < r) the observer measures the wavelength to be smaller and the frequency and energy of the photon to be higher. This situation is known as blue shift.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that.

It also clears up an issue I had with the binomial expansion of;

[tex]

\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - \frac{2GM}{r c^2})}}}

[/tex]

According to my understanding it should give;

[tex]

\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o} = 1 + \frac{GM}{r c^2}

[/tex]

And not

[tex]

[/tex]

[tex]

\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o} = 1 + \frac{GM}{r c^2}

[/tex] gives results that make sense (after your superb explanation) whereas the ‘1 – factor’ does not.

My original reason for doing this was to get a rough idea of how much gravitational redshift we should expect to see when viewing Neutron star.

A typical neutron star has a mass of very roughly 2 solar masses, with a corresponding radius of about 12 km

After plugging in these figures I came up with a gravitational redshift of 1.26

Not as big as I would have have thought.

Zman said:

[tex]
[/tex]

As r is increased and M constant, the redshift is increased as I expected.

Careful: 1) the shift is a blueshift, not a redshift; 2) As r is increased with M constant, the blue shift decreases.
Zman said:
The photon has to climb further which reduces its energy which is expressed as a larger wavelength or lower frequency.

The photon is falling from infinity to a position with radial coordinate r.
Zman said:

Where am I going wrong?

Can you answer this question now?

kev said:
r is not the location of the observer or the photon in its travels.

Yes, it is.
kev said:
It seems that the wolfram website you quote got it wrong.

I don't think so.

Zman said:
Thank you very much for that.

It also clears up an issue I had with the binomial expansion of;

[tex]
\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - \frac{2GM}{r c^2})}}}
[/tex]

Using the physical interpretation that I gave in my previous post,

[tex]
\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_0} =\sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{r c^2}}},
[/tex]

and the first two terms of a binomial expansion give the expression on scienceworld's website.

Thank you George for that.

I now have a clearer understanding of this issue.

But I would say that the equation that you used refers to gravitational blue shift (just as you said)
and the inverse of the equation that you used refers to gravitational red shift.

Without your contribution I would have remained confused about the equation found on scienceworld's website because I also found it in other respectable sources. It was too common to be a mistake.

Related to Gravitational redshift equation

What is the gravitational redshift equation?

The gravitational redshift equation, also known as the Einstein Shift, is a formula that relates the change in frequency or wavelength of light due to the influence of gravity. It is given by Δλ/λ = GM/rc^2, where Δλ is the change in wavelength, λ is the original wavelength, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object causing the gravitational field, r is the distance between the object and the observer, and c is the speed of light.

How is the gravitational redshift equation derived?

The gravitational redshift equation is derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity affects the curvature of space and time. The equation is a result of the equivalence principle, which states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable.

What does the gravitational redshift equation tell us about light?

The gravitational redshift equation tells us that light will experience a change in frequency or wavelength when it travels through a gravitational field. This change is caused by the warping of space and time near massive objects, such as stars or black holes.

What are some real-life applications of the gravitational redshift equation?

The gravitational redshift equation has several real-life applications, including the measurement of the mass and distance of celestial objects, the detection of gravitational waves, and the determination of the age and expansion rate of the universe.

Are there any limitations to the gravitational redshift equation?

Yes, the gravitational redshift equation is based on the assumptions of general relativity and does not take into account other factors such as the motion of the observer or the effects of other forces. It is also only applicable in weak gravitational fields, as in the case of Earth's gravity, and may not accurately describe the behavior of light in strong gravitational fields, such as near a black hole.