Gravitational Radiation Power of Object in Forced Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for radiative power due to a single object in forced circular motion. There is a specific interest in the power of gravitational radiation for volumetric invariant mass densities, as well as the power formulas for scenarios where the object undergoes forced circular motion with a tangential velocity near the speed of light. The discussion also mentions the limitations of studying a single body in forced circular motion and suggests looking into the conservation of momentum and high order derivatives of the quadrupole moment. The conversation concludes with the recommendation to refer to the Wikipedia page on gravitational waves and a specific website for more information.
James Essig
I am curious as to the formula for radiative power due to a single object in forced circular motion.

In particular, I am interested in the power of gravitational radiation for volumetric invariant mass densities for both the low density Newtonian limit and the high density general relativistic limit for the above scenario.

Additionally, I am interested in the power formulas for the above scenarios for which the object would undergo forced circular motion with a tangential velocity near the speed of light.

Likes edguy99
Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen some discussion and formulas for a pair of objects rotating around a common center. The problem with a single body in forced circular motion is that the motion doesn't describe a physical situation with a conserved momentum. This is a definite problem in the general non-linear theory, it might be solvable in the linearized approximation. Regardless, the information I have is for a pair of bodies, in which the dipole moment vanishes due to the conservation of momentum, and the only gravitational radiation is due to fairly high order derivative of the quadrupole moment.

See for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave, and perhaps http://www.tapir.caltech.edu/~teviet/Waves/gwave_details.html (I haven't read the later site closely).

Thanks for the info pervect. I am going to check out those two sites today.

What is gravitational radiation power?

Gravitational radiation power is the amount of energy emitted in the form of gravitational waves by an object in motion. These waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that propagate at the speed of light.

How is gravitational radiation power calculated?

The gravitational radiation power of an object in forced circular motion can be calculated using the formula P = (32/5) x (G^4/c^5) x (m^2 x v^6)/r^4, where P is the power, G is the gravitational constant, c is the speed of light, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What factors affect the gravitational radiation power of an object?

The gravitational radiation power of an object is affected by its mass, velocity, and the radius of its circular path. As these values increase, the amount of energy emitted in the form of gravitational waves also increases.

Can gravitational radiation power be harnessed for energy production?

Currently, there is no known practical way to harness gravitational radiation power for energy production. The amount of power emitted by an object in motion is incredibly small and would be difficult to capture and convert into usable energy.

What are the potential applications of studying gravitational radiation power?

Studying gravitational radiation power can provide insights into the behavior of massive objects in motion, such as black holes and neutron stars. It can also help in the development of more accurate models and predictions of gravitational waves, which have important implications in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.