Gravitational Potential Problem ( one simple yes/no question)

In summary, when finding the gravitational potential of a thick walled hollow cylinder, you can find the gravitational potential of a solid cylinder and then subtract the gravitational potential of a smaller (inner empty) cylinder to get the final result. The potential should be measured from a point on the same axis as the cylinder.
rockstar101

Homework Statement

When finding the gravitational potential of a thick walled hollow cylinder from the

point P, located along the X-axis,

can I find the Gravitational potential of a solid cylinder and then subtract the
gravitational potential of a smaller (inner empty) cylinder?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt to answer a much complicated problem.
I just need to make sure that I can subtract the two gravitational potential
to find the gp of hollow thick cylinder.

Any hint or help would be really appreciated thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi rockstar101! Welcome to PF! :wink:
rockstar101 said:
can I find the Gravitational potential of a solid cylinder and then subtract the
gravitational potential of a smaller (inner empty) cylinder?

I just need to make sure that I can subtract the two gravitational potential
to find the gp of hollow thick cylinder.

Yes … that's exactly the way to do it. :smile:

is the gravitational potential measuring from a point on Z axis same as the gp measured on a point on X axis?

(what happened to "one simple yes/no question"? :biggrin: :wink:)

If the Y-axis is the axis of the cylinder, yes. :smile:

Related to Gravitational Potential Problem ( one simple yes/no question)

1. Can gravitational potential be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential can be negative. It is a scalar quantity and can take on both positive and negative values depending on the location and proximity to the source of gravity.

2. Is gravitational potential the same as gravitational potential energy?

No, gravitational potential is a property of a point in space, while gravitational potential energy is the energy associated with an object at that point. Gravitational potential energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the gravitational potential at that point.

3. Does the gravitational potential at a point depend on the mass of the object creating the gravitational field?

Yes, the gravitational potential at a point is directly proportional to the mass of the object creating the gravitational field. This means that a larger mass will result in a stronger gravitational potential at a given point.

4. Can gravitational potential change over time?

Yes, gravitational potential can change over time. This is because the strength of the gravitational field can change as objects move and their masses and distances from each other change.

5. Is gravitational potential the same everywhere in a gravitational field?

No, gravitational potential can vary within a gravitational field. The value of gravitational potential is dependent on the distance and direction from the source of gravity, so it can have different values at different points within the field.