Gravitational Potential Energy question

In summary, the problem involves finding the orbital and angular-orbital velocities of two planets, PICA-9 and PICA-10, orbiting the star PIC-2A. The mass of PIC-2A is equal to that of our Sun, and the distances from PICA-9 and PICA-10 to their star are given. To calculate the gravitational potential energies of the planets, the formula PE = -GMm/r is needed, but the masses of the planets are not provided in the given information. Therefore, it is not possible to calculate the PE in this scenario.
stefiex
Hello! I'm having some problems with a question that my professor has given me. Below is the question. I have already figured out the planet's orbital and angular-orbital velocities, but included that part due to the fact that some information was included.
PICA-9 and PIC-10 are planets orbiting its star, PIC-2A. Find each of the planet's orbital and
angular-orbital velocity if PIC-2A has the same mass as our Sun, PICA-9 is 1.0 A.U. away from
the star and PICA-10 is 5.5 times further than PICA-9. What are the gravitational potential
energies of each planet with respect to the star?

Homework Equations

Since everything must be in m/kg form, I have figured out that:
Distance from PICA-9 and PICA-2A is 1.50X1011m
Distance from PICA-10 and PICA-2A is 8.22X1011m
PICA-2A mass is 1.989X1030kg
G=6.67X10-11

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the formula for GPE given to me is -GMm/r (G=gravity in space, M="the anchor" mass, m=orbiting object's mass, and r=the distance between the planets), I wasn't sure if PE=mgh would be a helpful formula in this case. Would finding the kinetic energy be helpful as well? How would I find the mass of the planets?
Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello stefiex and welcome to PF!

Stick with PE = -GMm/r. PE = mgh is only an approximation that is valid when m is near the surface of a planet or star.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to calculate PE without knowing the masses of the planets and there is no way to deduce those masses from the information given.

That's what I thought. My teacher is notorious for forgetting information needed to complete the problem. Thanks for taking the time to look at it!

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy question

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work as a result of its position relative to other objects in the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point. The units for gravitational potential energy are joules (J).

3. What factors affect the amount of gravitational potential energy an object has?

The amount of gravitational potential energy an object has is affected by its mass, the strength of the gravitational field it is in, and its height above a reference point. The higher the mass and height, and the stronger the gravitational field, the more gravitational potential energy an object will have.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when an object is in motion. This conversion occurs when the object moves from a higher position to a lower position in a gravitational field.

5. How is gravitational potential energy related to the concept of work?

Gravitational potential energy is related to the concept of work because work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. When an object is moved against the force of gravity, work is done on the object, and its gravitational potential energy increases. When the object is allowed to fall, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and work is done by the object on its surroundings.