Gravitational potential energy problem

In summary, the problem involves a broken spaceship located 10 km above a circular dust sheet with a radius of 106 km and a density of 7*1011 kg/m2. The spaceship and the dust attract each other due to gravitational forces. The initial acceleration of the spaceship can be found by considering the force of each particle of the dust sheet, while the acceleration right before impact can be solved using conservation of energy. The astronauts in the spaceship will experience a constant acceleration due to the infinite sheet of mass density, similar to Gauss' Law for gravity.
dmk90

Homework Statement

A broken spaceship is located h=10 km above the center of a large circular thin sheet of unknown dust. The sheet has a radius of R=106 km and a density of σ = 7*1011 kg/m2. The spaceship and the dust attract each other due to the gravitational force.

a) Find the initial acceleration of the spaceship.
b) Find the acceleration of the spaceship right before the spaceship hits the dust.
c) What will the astronauts in the spaceship experience right before the spaceship hits the dust?1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

37d5b52893.png

For a), consider each particle of the dust sheet, the x component of the gravitational force cancels each other, leaving the y component. Therefore, the force of each particle mass M is
f = GmM/x2 = GmM/h2 * 1/cos(θ) = GmM/h2 * x/h = GmMx/h3

For entire dust sheet: df = (Gmx/h3)*dM

dM = σdA = σ2πr dr

a = F/m

Combine the 3, I get this:
07bcc62128.png

Which looks very off. What did I do wrong?

For b), I think I can solve it with conservation of energy.

For c), I have no clue.

Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the density of the dust cloud is really 7*1011 kg/m2? That's like the density of ground up neutron stars. :))

SteamKing said:
Are you sure the density of the dust cloud is really 7*1011 kg/m2? That's like the density of ground up neutron stars. :))
Maybe the dust particles are individual neutrons :)

@dmk90: Since the sheet is so extensive compared to the distance of the puny spaceship from its surface, it will effectively look like an infinite sheet of mass density σ. I don't know about you, but when I see infinite sheets of anything producing a field I think Gauss' Law. There's a Gauss' Law for gravity! Look it up.

By the way, by analogy to the field produced by an infinite sheet of electrical charge, what can you say about the acceleration that the ship experiences over the whole distance to the surface of the sheet? Remind you of anything?

Related to Gravitational potential energy problem

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential to do work based on the object's position relative to other objects in the field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point. This formula can be used to calculate the potential energy of an object at any point in a gravitational field.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and height?

The higher an object is positioned in a gravitational field, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because the object has the potential to do more work as it falls towards the center of the field due to its increased height.

4. How does changing an object's mass or the strength of gravity affect its gravitational potential energy?

If an object's mass is increased, its gravitational potential energy will also increase. Similarly, if the strength of gravity is increased, the object's potential energy will also increase. This is because both mass and gravity are factors in the calculation of gravitational potential energy.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, as an object falls towards the center of a gravitational field. This conversion of energy is known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.