Gravitational potential energy of satellite

In summary, a satellite in circular orbit around the Earth is hit by a meteorite, causing a 73-kg fragment to be ejected and fall to the ground with a speed of 355 m/s. The total work done by gravity on the fragment is 8.52×107 J. To calculate the work converted into heat, the equation Ug+W=Kf can be used, where Ug is the gravitational potential energy, W is the work done, and Kf is the final kinetic energy. The final kinetic energy can be found using the mass and final speed of the fragment.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

A satellite in a circular orbit around the Earth with a radius 1.019 times the mean radius of the Earth is hit by an incoming meteorite. A large 73-kg fragment is ejected in the backwards direction so that it is stationary with respect to the Earth and falls directly to the ground. Its speed just before it hits the ground is 355 m/s. Find the total work done by gravity on the satellite fragment. Assume that Rearth = 6.37 × 103 km and Mearth = 5.98 × 1024 kg.

Wg=8.52×107 J

Calculate the amount of work that is converted into heat.

W=?

Homework Equations

Ug+W=Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the work done by gravity, but I am stuck on the work converted into heat. My teacher told me to use the equation above but I am not sure how to use it, W=KF-8.52×107 J ? If that's the case, what do i use to solve for KF?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the final speed and the mass. So the final kinetic energy is ____?

Related to Gravitational potential energy of satellite

1. What is gravitational potential energy of satellite?

Gravitational potential energy of satellite refers to the energy possessed by a satellite due to its position and gravitational interaction with the Earth. It is a measure of the work required to move the satellite from its current position to infinity, and is directly proportional to the mass of the satellite and the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center.

2. How is gravitational potential energy of satellite calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of satellite can be calculated using the formula: U = -(G*M*m)/r, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, m is the mass of the satellite, and r is the distance between the satellite and Earth's center.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of satellite?

The gravitational potential energy of satellite is affected by the mass of the satellite, the mass of the Earth, and the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center. As the mass of the satellite or the Earth increases, the potential energy also increases. Similarly, as the distance between the satellite and Earth increases, the potential energy decreases.

4. How does gravitational potential energy affect the motion of a satellite?

The gravitational potential energy of satellite is converted into kinetic energy as the satellite orbits the Earth. This allows the satellite to maintain a stable orbit and remain in constant motion.

5. Can gravitational potential energy of satellite be negative?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy of satellite can be negative if the satellite is closer to the Earth's surface than the reference point (infinity). This means that work would need to be done to move the satellite to infinity, resulting in a negative potential energy value.