Gravitational Potential Energy of a swing

In summary, the task was to find the gravitational potential energy of a child on a swing attached to 1.8 m long ropes, when the ropes make a 30° angle with the vertical. Using the formula U=mgy, the vertical displacement was found to be 1.8cos30m. The final gravitational potential energy of the child+Earth system relative to the child's lowest position was calculated to be 6.16e2 J. It was clarified that the 'y' in the formula represents the difference between the height of the swing and the height of the child.
bearhug
A 395 N child is in a swing that is attached to ropes 1.8 m long. Find the gravitational potential energy of the child+Earth system relative to the child's lowest position when the ropes make a 30° angle with the vertical.

What I did with this problem is I drew a diagram and then figured that y would be 1.8cos30

U=mgy
U=395(1.8cos30)= 6.16e2 J

Is there anything that I did wrong with this problem it's confusing me with the angle. I feel like there's more to do than this but I'm not sure what.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'y' in the formula is the vertical displacement measured from the lowest point on the swing.

That doesn't really help.

Draw the swing with the child just sitting there. Then draw the swing when it's pulled back 30o. The 'y' is how high the child has moved vertically.

The gravitational potential you calculated just now is at a height of [tex]1.8\cos{30}[/tex]m from the ground. However the guy is hanging down from a swing that's 1.8m long.

So it's the difference. Thanks for clarifying.

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy of a swing

1. What is the definition of gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that an object would gain or lose if it were to move from its current position to a reference point, typically at an infinite distance away.

2. How is gravitational potential energy related to a swing?

In a swing, the gravitational potential energy is related to the height of the swing. As the swing moves higher, the potential energy increases, and as it moves lower, the potential energy decreases. This is because the swing's height determines its distance from the Earth's center of gravity, where the gravitational force is strongest.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of a swing?

The two main factors that affect the gravitational potential energy of a swing are its mass and its height. Objects with greater mass or that are positioned at a higher height will have a higher gravitational potential energy.

4. How is the gravitational potential energy of a swing calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of a swing can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the swing, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the swing.

5. Is the gravitational potential energy of a swing converted into any other form of energy?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy of a swing is converted into kinetic energy as the swing moves. As the swing reaches the bottom of its arc, the potential energy is at its lowest point, and the kinetic energy is at its highest. As the swing moves back up, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.