Gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall

In summary: Also, I am pretty sure the g is meant to be 10 m/s2.In summary, the problem involves calculating the gravitational potential energy stored in a retaining wall made of forty 2.0kg blocks that are 20.0cm thick. Each row of the wall contains 10 blocks, and the first block is placed at the reference level. Using the equation Eg=mgh, the mass of the wall is found to be 80kg and the height is 0.2m for each row. However, the center of mass of the wall is located at a height of 0.3m, which must be taken into account in the calculation. Using a gravitational acceleration of 10 m/s2, the final calculation
Nithya115

Homework Statement

Forty 2.0kg blocks 20.0cm thick are used to make a retaining wall in the backyard. Each row of the wall will contain 10 blocks. You may assume that the first block is placed at the reference level. How much gravitational potential energy is stored in the wall when the blocks are set in place.

Homework Equations

Eg=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

To find m (mass):
(40)(2.0kg) = 80kg
To find height (h):
20.0cm = 0.2m
(0.2m)(4)= 0.8m I used 4 because the wall will be four rows high.
Final...
Eg= (80)(0.8)(9.8)
= 627 J
The answer in my book says 240J

[Mentor's note: Thread title changed to reflect actual subject matter of post]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the location of the center of mass of the wall, not its total height.

What is the location of the center of mass ?
Is it 0.3m or 0.4m ?

Orodruin said:
You need to use the location of the center of mass of the wall, not its total height.
so...
Eg=(80kg)(0.4m)(9.8)
= 313.6 J
Im still not getting the answer which is 240J.

Can you please show your calculations? It would be really helpful!

Last edited:
Is the centre of mass really at 0.4 m? Remember that the bottom layer is placed in such a way that it does not have potential energy. Also, I very much suspect the answer is using g ≈ 10 m/s2.

Orodruin said:
Is the centre of mass really at 0.4 m? Remember that the bottom layer is placed in such a way that it does not have potential energy. Also, I very much suspect the answer is using g ≈ 10 m/s2.
I believe the height is 0.3m but when I do the calculations, I am still not getting the answer.

Eg= (60kg)(0.3)(9.8)
= 176.4 J

Nithya115 said:
Eg= (60kg)...
The 0.3m is an average over all blocks, so you must count all the blocks in the mass.

Related to Gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to move or fall due to the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall is calculated by multiplying the mass of the wall by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and its height above the ground.

3. Why is gravitational potential energy important for a retaining wall?

Gravitational potential energy is important for a retaining wall because it determines the stability and strength of the wall. The higher the potential energy, the more force the wall can withstand from the weight of the soil behind it.

4. Can gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall change?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall can change if there are any changes in its height or the weight of the soil behind it. It can also change if the wall is moved or tilted.

5. How can gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall be increased?

The gravitational potential energy of a retaining wall can be increased by increasing its height or the density of the soil behind it. It can also be increased by adding reinforcements or anchors to the wall.