Gravitational potential energy of a cylinder to a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gravitational force exerted by a cylinder on a particle. The use of calculus is questioned and the importance of considering the geometry of the cylinder is emphasized. It is suggested to treat the cylinder as a stack of thin disks and to specify the distance of the particle from the near end of the cylinder.
Gian Lukmana
Hi everyone I'm kinda new here, your support will really be appreciated ! :D

1. Homework Statement

Let's say the cylinder has radius R, and height T.

Homework Equations

U = ∫GmdM/x

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is shown in the picture, I took a tiny element of the cylinder with vertical distance y, and horizontal distance r from the particle, then I used integral. am I doing this right ? I think there's something odd with the "y" there. Should I range the y until the upper surface of the cylinder only?
1902777_10205435664597512_708160216152778767_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you need calculus for this? The volume of a cylinder can be looked up so if you have the density of the material, you can get the mass of the cylinder and the center of mass is trivially easy to get so if you have the mass of the particle, just plug everything into the gravity formula. Am I missing something about what you are trying to do?

phinds said:
Why would you need calculus for this? The volume of a cylinder can be looked up so if you have the density of the material, you can get the mass of the cylinder and the center of mass is trivially easy to get so if you have the mass of the particle, just plug everything into the gravity formula. Am I missing something about what you are trying to do?
The gravitational force due to a cylinder is not the same as that due to a sphere or point mass of the same mass. Geometry matters.

One approach would be to begin by finding the force exerted by a thin disk at a given distance, then treat the cylinder as a stack of such disks of thickness dy.

Likes Thewindyfan
Yeah, I heard that we can't treat other shapes as a sphere, so we can't just blindly use the normal formula. To confirm, does this mean y should be the distance of the particle and the upper surface of the cylinder ?

Gian Lukmana said:
Yeah, I heard that we can't treat other shapes as a sphere, so we can't just blindly use the normal formula. To confirm, does this mean y should be the distance of the particle and the upper surface of the cylinder ?
I think it's up to you to specify your coordinate system and significant measurements, but it would probably make sense to characterize the setup by specifying distance of the test mass from the near end of the cylinder.

Likes Gian Lukmana
alright, got it now, thank you so much !

gneill said:
The gravitational force due to a cylinder is not the same as that due to a sphere or point mass of the same mass. Geometry matters.
OOPS. Guess I didn't think that one through.

Related to Gravitational potential energy of a cylinder to a particle

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is directly related to the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and its height relative to a reference point.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated for a cylinder and a particle?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy for a cylinder and a particle is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point. This formula assumes that the cylinder and particle are located near the surface of the Earth, where the acceleration due to gravity is constant.

3. What factors influence the gravitational potential energy of a cylinder and a particle?

The gravitational potential energy of a cylinder and a particle is influenced by three main factors: the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object. Additionally, the distance between the cylinder and particle can also affect the gravitational potential energy, as it determines the strength of the gravitational field between the two objects.

4. How does the gravitational potential energy of a cylinder and a particle change as their positions change?

The gravitational potential energy of a cylinder and a particle is directly proportional to their heights above a reference point. This means that as the objects move higher, their gravitational potential energy increases, and as they move lower, their gravitational potential energy decreases. The change in gravitational potential energy is also affected by the mass and acceleration due to gravity of the objects.

5. Can the gravitational potential energy of a cylinder and a particle be negative?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy of a cylinder and a particle can be negative in certain situations. This occurs when the objects are located below the reference point, and their heights are negative. It can also happen if the objects are moving in a direction opposite to the direction of the gravitational force, as the gravitational potential energy is a scalar quantity and can have a negative value.