Gravitational Potential Energy child swing Problem

In summary, the child has a gravitational potential energy of 153 J when the ropes are at a 25 degree angle from the vertical.
septum

Homework Statement

A 140-N child is in a swing that is attached to ropes 2.00 m long. Find the gravitational potential energy associated with the child relative to her lowest position at the following times.

(a) when the ropes are horizontal

I get this one. I used PE=mgy; PE=(140-N)(2.00 m)= 280 J

However, I'm unsure how to approach part B, so if someone could just nudge me in the right direction I would really appreciate it (you certainly don't have to work it out--I'm not asking you to do my work).

(b) when the ropes make a 25.0° angle with the vertical

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the rope, the angle and the height. Use trigonometry to find the height. Then use mgy again.

Use trig to find the height of the child above the ground, using this number as variable "y" in the PE formula.

Think right triangles.

T.T i don't understand this at all.

I drew a whole lot of right triangles solving for a h and o using 90 degrees and 25 degrees and 65 degrees (basically everything I can think of) and get small numbers such as 2.21 and when I add that in that gives you a.. LOT of joules which is nonsensical.

Certainly the height has to be less than 2 meters!

Show the swing rope at an angle of 25 degrees from vertical.
Draw a vertical line down from where the ropes are held at the top.
Draw a horizontal line across from the bottom of the child to the vertical line.
Now you have a right triangle with a 25 degree angle in it. You know the length of one side. You should be able to find the height . . .

Even if I do 2.00m*cos25 degress it comes out as 1.81 m.

If I plug that into my 140 N * (1.81 m) = 153 which is far too large. It must be much less and that is what I'm failing to understand.

Oops - I forgot about something!
Your 1.81 m is the vertical distance from the top of the swing down to the child. The height above the ground will be 2 - 1.81.

*facepalm*

Thank you so much for your help.

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy child swing Problem

1. What is Gravitational Potential Energy?

Gravitational Potential Energy is the energy an object possesses because of its position in a gravitational field. It is the amount of work an object can do due to its position above the ground.

2. How is Gravitational Potential Energy calculated?

Gravitational Potential Energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground.

3. What is the relationship between Gravitational Potential Energy and height?

The Gravitational Potential Energy of an object increases as its height above the ground increases. This is because the higher an object is, the more work it can do due to its position in the gravitational field.

4. How does a child swing demonstrate the concept of Gravitational Potential Energy?

A child swing is a perfect example of Gravitational Potential Energy. As the child swings higher, their position above the ground increases, and so does their Gravitational Potential Energy. When the child reaches the top of the swing, they have the maximum Gravitational Potential Energy, and as they swing back down, this energy is converted into kinetic energy.

5. Can Gravitational Potential Energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, Gravitational Potential Energy can be converted into other forms of energy. In the case of a child swing, it is converted into kinetic energy as the child swings back and forth. Other examples include potential energy being converted into electrical energy in a hydroelectric dam or into thermal energy in a roller coaster.