Gravitational Potential Energy Calculation for Satellite in Orbit

In summary, to calculate the gain of gravitational potential energy of a satellite of mass 200kg between launching and when it is in orbit at a height of 1.2 * 10^6m above the Earth's surface, we use the equation V=-GM/r and assume the mass of Earth is 6*10^24. The difference between the gravitational potential at the Earth's surface and at 1.2*10^6m is 1.9*10^9. However, the actual answer may be incorrect as the formula for gravitational potential energy is E = GMm/r, which could lead to a different answer.
Harmony
Question:
Calculate the gain of gravitational potential energy of a satelite of mass 200kg between launching and when it is in orbit at a height of 1.2 * 10^6m
above the Earth's surface. (R=6.4*10^6)

I approach this question using the equation V=-GM/r . Since the mass of Earth is not given here, I assume it is 6*10^24.

So, I calculate the gravitational potential at the Earth's surface and at 1.2*10^6 m and find the difference. I get the answer of 1.9*10^9.

But the actual answer is 1.7*10^6.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational potential is defined as [tex] V = \frac{GM}{r} [/tex], while the gravitational potential energy is defined as [tex] E = \frac{GMm}{r} [/tex]. Although, you must have made a mistake in putting the numbers in aswell.

I get the same answer as you with the formula
[tex]V=-\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
maybe the given answer is incorrect.

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy Calculation for Satellite in Orbit

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is a concept in physics that refers to the potential energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential calculated?

The gravitational potential of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the object relative to a reference point.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational force?

Gravitational potential and gravitational force are closely related, as an object's gravitational potential energy is the energy that is required to overcome the force of gravity and move the object away from a reference point.

4. How does gravitational potential change with distance?

Gravitational potential decreases as the distance between two objects increases, meaning that the further two objects are apart, the lower the potential energy between them.

5. How is gravitational potential used in real-world applications?

Gravitational potential has many practical applications, such as in space missions where it is used to calculate trajectories and launch vehicles, in geology to study the movement of tectonic plates, and in astronomy to understand the formation and movement of celestial bodies.