Gravitational lensing question

In summary, gravitational lensing is an unexplained phenomenon that occurs when the bending of spacetime affects the light that is being viewed. It is thought that it is caused by a matter density gradient, and has been observed in many different colors.
Oscar01
Hi I am new to the forums. Only undertaken basic physics.
Had a thought the other day and wanted to share it.

Is lensing of starlight such as einstein rings ever caused by refraction?

Could a matter density gradient theoretically cause the same effect?

Thanks guys
Sorry if its a repost couldn't find anything like it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That is how a lens works, by refraction.

It sounds like you are asking if there are ever any natural lenses that occur in astronomy due to matter gradients. One example is when the setting Sun looks distorted as it goes below the horizon. It isn't thought that gravitational lenses work like that, however, because there is already a natural explanation in terms of gravity effects.

Ken G said:
It sounds like you are asking if there are ever any natural lenses that occur in astronomy due to matter gradients. One example is when the setting Sun looks distorted as it goes below the horizon. It isn't thought that gravitational lenses work like that, however, because there is already a natural explanation in terms of gravity effects.

I understand, but is there a way of telling if the phenomena is caused by the bending of spacetime as opposed to refractional lensing due to matter gradient? How do we know it isn't from refraction?

Oscar01 said:
I understand, but is there a way of telling if the phenomena is caused by the bending of spacetime as opposed to refractional lensing due to matter gradient? How do we know it isn't from refraction?
Refraction separates light by wavelength, whereas gravitational lensing does not.

russ_watters said:
Refraction separates light by wavelength, whereas gravitational lensing does not.

So are there experiments confirming no chromatic aberration? I read on another thread that the lensing from the Sun actually does have chromatic abberation.

link/source?

malawi_glenn said:
link/source?
That's the problem. I can't find any sources for testing for chromatic abberations at all. Has it been tested for?

Chromatic aberration doesn't need to be "tested for" - it is either there or it isn't. In refraction it is very noticeable:

vt-photo-03-rw.jpg

In gravitational lensing, it isn't there:

A_Horseshoe_Einstein_Ring_from_Hubble.JPG

Last edited:
Likes whitsona2 and davenn
russ_watters said:
Chromatic aberration doesn't need to be "tested for" - it is either there or it isn't. In refraction it is very noticeable:

vt-photo-03-rw.jpg

In gravitational lending, it isn't there:

A_Horseshoe_Einstein_Ring_from_Hubble.JPG
Isn't dispersion different between mediums though. For example dispersing light through a prismyields much more intense dispersion than dispersing it through water or air for that matter. Perhaps the image ist high enough resolution to tell?

Also the photo above is correcting four Earth's atmosphere not diffraction in venus atmosphere.

Oscar01 said:
Isn't dispersion different between mediums though. For example dispersing light through a prismyields much more intense dispersion than dispersing it through water or air for that matter.
Yes.
Perhaps the image ist high enough resolution to tell?
That would be unlikely -- it's a pretty noticeable effect.
Also the photo above is correcting four Earth's atmosphere not diffraction in venus atmosphere.
I'm not following.

Wouldn't the fact that nearly all Einstein rings are blue be evidence for diffraction?
If not what causes this?

When you write diffraction, do you mean dispersion?

my2cts said:
When you write diffraction, do you mean dispersion?

Yes i mean dispersion.

If the image does not depend on the colour of the light there is no dispersion.
Whatever the cause, it is not dispersion.
What you see is the same colour as the light had before refraction.

my2cts said:
If the image does not depend on the colour of the light there is no dispersion.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

my2cts said:
What you see is the same colour as the light had before refraction.
So it is by chance that we have only ever seen blue Einstein rings in the visual range? I find that hard to reconcile, especially considering how many we have seen.

Infact it is such a common occurance that there have been papers written attempting to answer this question.
http://arrow.dit.ie/engscheleart2/19/

So as of yet it is an unexplained phenomena.

My physics level is various textbooks and no diploma. I don't remember such an expression as Einstein rings but I had the impression that the gravitational lensing of starlight is quantitatively calculable from some Einsteinian stuff. If the measurements line up very good with the theory then a mysterious alternative reason for the measured phenomenon would seem to be an unlikely coincidence. That would be kind of like if your plainly identifiable fingerprints at the scene of the crime had been caused by someone else. Also I don't understand your refraction theory or why you would think that starlight would be refracted or refracted in the common sense of it close to the sun?

Please continue in this thread, having two threads about the same topic scatters the discussion and does not help.

Related to Gravitational lensing question

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the path of light from a distant source is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies.

2. How does gravitational lensing occur?

Gravitational lensing occurs when a massive object, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies, bends the path of light from a more distant object due to its strong gravitational pull. This creates a distortion or magnification of the light from the distant object, making it appear brighter or larger.

3. Why is gravitational lensing important in astronomy?

Gravitational lensing is important in astronomy because it allows us to study and observe objects that would otherwise be too faint or distant to see. It also provides a way to study the distribution of dark matter in the universe, as the bending of light is affected by the presence of this invisible matter.

4. What are the different types of gravitational lensing?

There are three main types of gravitational lensing: strong, weak, and microlensing. Strong lensing occurs when the light from a distant object is significantly distorted, creating multiple images of the object. Weak lensing involves a smaller distortion of the light, making the object appear slightly stretched or distorted. Microlensing occurs when a smaller object, such as a star, passes in front of a more distant object, causing a temporary brightening of the distant object's light.

5. How is gravitational lensing used in scientific research?

Gravitational lensing is used in scientific research to study the properties of distant objects, such as galaxies and quasars, and to measure the distribution of dark matter in the universe. It also allows us to study the effects of gravity on light, which can help us better understand the theory of general relativity and the structure of the universe.