Gravitational lenses and objects in front of them

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational lensing and how it affects the images of objects behind a massive gravitational object, such as a galaxy or black hole. The discussion also touches on the difference between weak and strong lensing and the potential for seeing multiple reflections of an object in front of a black hole.
kmarinas86
Will the image of an object inside a gravitational lens, though on the side of the lens that is facing us, be enlarged/reduced in apparent angular width? If so, how is this quantified, and dimensionless GR values may it be related to (e.g. gravitational length contraction factor, etc.)? Will its brightness be reduced/increased? If so, by how much?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kmarinas86 said:
a gravitational lens ... the side of the lens that is facing us
Neither of these phrases make sense. There is no lens. There is merely the bending of light circumferentially around a massive object such as a galaxy.

Consider something more simple than distant galaxies. The sun acts as a very weak gravitational lens. If we were far enough from it, and a star were positioned just so, we would see a ring around the sun.

But you're talking about objects in the sun or in front of it. Are you suggesting that Mercury's image as it crosses in front of the Sun is somehow distorted by lensing from the Sun?

DaveC426913 said:
Neither of these phrases make sense. There is no lens. There is merely the bending of light circumferentially around a massive object such as a galaxy.

Consider something more simple than distant galaxies. The sun acts as a very weak gravitational lens. If we were far enough from it, and a star were positioned just so, we would see a ring around the sun.But you're talking about objects in the sun or in front of it. Are you suggesting that Mercury's image as it crosses in front of the Sun is somehow distorted by lensing from the Sun?

Yes I am...

Check this program out:

http://www.kwakkelflap.com/files/gravlens.zip

Starting with the default settings:

If I increase the mass of the lens by 10 times and move the source to 110 Mpc, I can have a smaller image if I increase the mass by another 10 times at the same source distance of 110 Mpc

I think the program is what I needed. It shows that if you have an object inside a really strong gravitational lens, if it is on the front half of the lens, it will shrink! Anyone skeptical about this program?

"...if you have an object inside a really strong gravitational lens, if it is on the front half of the lens..."

1] The only practical gravitational lenses are massive galaxies or black holes.
2] The only practical objects imagable with lensing is other, more distant galaxies (since anything smaller, such as stars, are zero diameter points regardless).
3] To have an object "inside a gravitational lens" means you're looking at one galaxy that's floating around inside another, larger galaxy or a black hole. This is impossible.

There is no practical way to talk about the lens itself. Even the massive galaxy is not the "lens". The lensing phenomenon is merely an effect that is caused by the bending of light rays. The only way the rays get bent is by being on a trajectory that takes them from behind the massive galaxy to in front of the massive galaxy. Light rays that start off anywhere other than behind the massive galaxy do not get bent.

In conclusion, lensing only works to distort objects behind the massive lensing object.

See attached diagram.

Attachments

• PF061221lensing.gif
    PF061221lensing.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
I think I see where you're going awry.

You're thinking that "the lens" is the rhomboid shape enclosing the distant object, the massive object in the middle AND the Earth, i.e. the "front half" of the lens is anything between the massive galaxy and Earth.

This is not so.

If you were to try to define the boundaries of the lens itself, you would enclose an imaginary area where light rays are in the process of being bent by gravity. Anywhere that the light rays are traveling in straight lines is not part of the lens.

See attached diagram.

Attachments

• PF061221lensing2.gif
    PF061221lensing2.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
I'm probably not helping, but someone should point out that the above discussion mostly refers to "weak lensing"; observers very near a black hole observe some rather more drastic "strong lensing" effects. It is not clear to me either what kmarinas is asking about, but http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0612124 should be interesting for those interested in "seeing" simulations of some "strong lensing" effects.

An object in front of (say) a black hole (but very close to the black hole, far from the observer) would indeed have a distorted image. I haven't looked into this but I guess I'd expect it to appear reduced (the rest of the sky does, and I'm naively thinking there is kindof an excess of space close in there). Also, provided it didn't eclipse the event horizon, you could in principle see an infinite series of its .. "reflections" ("Einstein rings").

No, not at all. It's much more interesting. One place to get started would be Chandrasekhar, Mathematical Theory of Black Holes.

Related to Gravitational lenses and objects in front of them

1. What are gravitational lenses?

Gravitational lenses are massive objects, such as galaxies or clusters of galaxies, that bend and distort the path of light from objects behind them. This creates a magnifying effect, allowing us to see objects that would otherwise be too distant and faint to detect.

2. How do gravitational lenses form?

Gravitational lenses form due to the bending of spacetime by massive objects. As light travels through this curved spacetime, its path is altered, leading to the magnifying effect. The more massive the object, the stronger the gravitational lensing effect.

3. What are some examples of gravitational lenses?

Some examples of gravitational lenses include galaxy clusters, such as Abell 1689 and the Bullet Cluster, and individual galaxies, such as the Einstein Cross. These objects have been observed to magnify and distort the light from background galaxies and quasars.

4. How can gravitational lenses be used in research?

Gravitational lenses provide a unique opportunity for scientists to study distant and faint objects that would otherwise be impossible to observe. By studying the distortions and magnifications caused by gravitational lenses, we can learn more about the distribution of dark matter in the universe and the properties of distant galaxies and quasars.

5. Are there any potential applications of gravitational lenses?

Yes, there are potential applications of gravitational lenses in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology. Gravitational lenses can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as inform the search for dark matter and dark energy. They may also have practical applications in the development of advanced telescopes and lenses for imaging and communication technologies.