Gravitational force quick doubt

In summary, a spacecraft of mass m moves towards the center of the Earth, which is modeled as a fixed sphere of radius R. The force exerted by the Earth on the spacecraft is directed towards the center of the Earth and has a magnitude of k/x^2, where k is a constant. Using this information, it can be shown that k=mgR^2. When the spacecraft starts from rest at a distance of 2R from the center of the Earth, and air resistance is ignored, the speed of the spacecraft as it crashes into the surface of the Earth can be found using the equation mv|dv/dx|=k/x^2. The negative sign in front of k/x^2 ensures that the negative quantities
rbnphlp

Homework Statement

A spacecraft S of mass m moves in a straight line towards the centre of the earth. The earth
is modeled as a fixed sphere of radius R. When S is at a distance x from the centre of the
earth, the force exerted by the Earth on S is directed towards the centre of the Earth and has
magnitude k/x2 , where k is a constant.
(a) Show that k = mgR2.
(2)
Given that S starts from rest when its distance from the centre of the Earth is 2R, and that
air resistance can be ignored,
(b) find the speed of S as it crashes into the surface of the earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have a qucick doubt on part B , I do get how to the question except the
markscheme states [itex]a=-\frac{k}{x^2}[/itex] where is the minus sign comming from , surely S is moving towards the Earth so isn't it in the same direction as the force?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the force is in the same direction as the acceleration. However, both force and acceleration are directed towards the the Earth, therefore both are negative. The convention is that positive is away from the Earth.

kuruman said:
Yes, the force is in the same direction as the acceleration. However, both force and acceleration are directed towards the the Earth, therefore both are negative. The convention is that positive is away from the Earth.

ok then would I be right in saying this :
since F=ma
[itex]-m v\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{k}{x^2}[/itex]
and hence the negative cancel's out?
but the ms says:

[itex]mv\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{k}{x^2}[/itex]

so I am not sure.

Thanks for the help so far

Here v is the speed, a positive quantity. As the mass moves towards the centre, i.e. as x gets smaller, the speed increases and dv/dx is a negative ratio. On the other side k is positive and so is x2. A negative sign is put in front of k/x2 to ensure that the negative quantity on the left matches the negative quantity on the right.

kuruman said:
Here v is the speed, a positive quantity. As the mass moves towards the centre, i.e. as x gets smaller, the speed increases and dv/dx is a negative ratio. On the other side k is positive and so is x2. A negative sign is put in front of k/x2 to ensure that the negative quantity on the left matches the negative quantity on the right.
So if I have understood you right , youre agreeing my first equation is correct?

But the mark scheme of the paper says the 2nd one is correct? Is th emark scheme wrong?

thanks

If v denotes the speed, then second equation is correct. The correct form of the first equation should be

[tex]mv \left|\frac{dv}{dx}\right|=\frac{k}{x^2}[/tex]

Note that, because dv/dx is a negative quantity, both forms say the same thing.

kuruman said:
If v denotes the speed, then second equation is correct. The correct form of the first equation should be

[tex]mv \left|\frac{dv}{dx}\right|=\frac{k}{x^2}[/tex]

Note that, because dv/dx is a negative quantity, both forms say the same thing.

Thank you very much

Related to Gravitational force quick doubt

1. How is gravitational force calculated?

The gravitational force between two objects is calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does distance affect gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the gravitational force decreases.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in terms of gravitational force?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the gravitational force exerted on an object. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational force will be, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field it is in.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force will be.

5. Is the gravitational force constant?

No, the gravitational force between two objects can vary depending on their masses and the distance between them. However, the gravitational force on an object due to a particular gravitational field (such as Earth's) is considered constant at a given location.