Gravitational force of three objects on a fourth

In summary, four spheres of equal 9.5 kg are located at the corners of a square of length 0.6 m per side. The gravitational field on one by the other three spheres is 3.2x10^-8 N.
coneheadceo

Homework Statement

Four spheres of equal 9.5 kg are located at the corners of a square of length 0.6 m per side. Find the magnitude and direction of the gravitational field on one by the other three spheres

Homework Equations

gravity = GM/r^2 with G = gravitation constant, M = mass, r = radius

The field strength of the diagonal mass = GM/(r*.71)^2
The sum of the field magnitudes from the two neighbored masses is GM(.71)/r^2
The total magnitude = GM/((2r)^2) + GM(.71)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So to clarify the ".71" is the sin of 45°, the radius of the neighboring spheres is .6 m and using phythagorean the diagonal radius is .85 m.

Solving... the answer in the book says...3.2 x 10^-8 N but...

(6.67x 10^-11)(9.5)/(2 * 0.6)^2 + (.71)(6.67x10^-11)(9.5)/(.85)^2=

4.4x10^-10 + 6.2x10^-10 = 1.06 x 10^-9

Where do I need to be set straight? Wrong equation(s) or substitutions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
coneheadceo said:
The field strength of the diagonal mass = GM/(r*.71)^2
The sum of the field magnitudes from the two neighbored masses is GM(.71)/r^2
The total magnitude = GM/((2r)^2) + GM(.71)/r^2

The gravitational field is a vector field. This is not how you find the magnitude of a sum of vectors (unless they all point in the same direction).

[tex]||\mathbf{A}+\mathbf{B}|| \neq ||\mathbf{A}||+||\mathbf{B}||[/tex]

So do I just use
F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2 for each sphere at 90° and

F = sin 45°(G*m1*m2)/r^2 for the diagonal sphere and add them all together?

doing that I get 3.9 x 10^-8

Forget the one on the diagonal for the moment... Go look up how you add two vectors that are at right angles.

You would use pythagorean method...

A-----B
| /
| /
C-----D
so let's say we call "A" sphere that is the 4th sphere... calculating the force of gravity between A and B would give a result of

1.67*10^-8

using g = G (m1m2/r^2)

and the same for A - C

using pythagorean theorm... c^2 = a^2 + b^2 gives us a "g" between A-D of 2.4x 10^-8

am I on the right track now? if so then do I add these together or am I waaaay off.

btw ABCD is supposed to be a square but I can't seem to get the dash to move over.

Yes that right.

and since it's a square the resulting vector of the first two points at the third sphere making it easier to add the effect of that one.

Now I'm confused since the answer in the book is 3.2x10^-8

adding 2.4 + 1.67 +1.67 =5.74 x10^-8

Total force = SQRT{(Force between A&B)2 + (Force between A&C)2} + (Force between A&D)

and it points from A to D.

You appear to have calculated SQRT{(Force between A&B)2 + (Force between A&C)2} correctly. I make that part = 2.36 * 10-8

It's the (Force between A&D) you appear to have wrong. The book answer appears to be correct.

Aside: Strictly speaking the equation I provide should be vector addition but you can simplify it to ordinary addition because we know that the result of adding two of the forces results in an vector that points in the same direction as the third.

Last edited:
Might help. Work out what force AD is. Then add it to the 2.36 * 10^-8 you calculated. Remember D is further away from A.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
You should really just choose an appropriate coordinate system and break down each of the 3 forces into their components in that coordinate system. As long as the basis vectors in the coordinate system you choose are orthogonal to each other (like Cartesian unit vectors), you can then just add the components together.

In 2D Cartesian coordinates, for example the sum two vectors ([itex]\mathbf{A} = A_x \mathbf{e}_{x} + A_y \mathbf{e}_{y}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{B} = B_x \mathbf{e}_{x} + B_y \mathbf{e}_{y}[/itex]) is computed as follows:

[tex]\mathbf{A} + \mathbf{B} = (A_x +B_x)\mathbf{e}_{x} + ( A_y + B_y ) \mathbf{e}_{y}[/tex]

And so the magnitude of the resulting vector is just [itex]||\mathbf{A} + \mathbf{B} || = \sqrt{(A_x +B_x)^2 + (A_y +B_y)^2}[/itex].

This is something that you will find in any introductory linear algebra textbook, and is usually taught in high school physics. If you are having this much difficulty adding three vectors together and finding the resultant vector's magnitude and direction, you really need to go back to your textbook (or look up vector addition online) and re-read the section on adding vectors and study the examples in the textbook.

Thank you CWatters! And yes Gab... I am taking a college level intro physics course with an "okay" book. It's been 15 years since I've worked with Physics like this and I'm going to have to review more before diving in. I would have been okay with three objects but four is a bit of a stretch.

Its even longer since I did it.

Gab's answer is better than mine because next problem will have unequal masses and the cheat/trick I used won't work. As he said best work out the components of all the vectors in a suitable co-ordinate system and add them up.

Related to Gravitational force of three objects on a fourth

1. How is the gravitational force of three objects on a fourth calculated?

The gravitational force of three objects on a fourth is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In the case of three objects, the force is calculated by considering each pair of objects separately and then adding up the individual forces.

2. Does the position of the fourth object affect the gravitational force of the three objects?

Yes, the position of the fourth object does affect the gravitational force of the three objects. The force is strongest when the fourth object is located between the other three objects, and it decreases as the distance between the fourth object and the other objects increases.

3. Can the gravitational force of three objects on a fourth be negative?

No, the gravitational force of three objects on a fourth cannot be negative. This is because gravity is always an attractive force, and the direction of the force is determined by the direction of the masses involved. So even if the force between two objects is negative, when we add in the force from the third object, the overall force will still be positive.

4. How does the mass of the fourth object affect the gravitational force of the three objects?

The mass of the fourth object does affect the gravitational force of the three objects. As the mass of the fourth object increases, the force it exerts on the other three objects also increases. This is because the gravitational force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects involved.

5. Is the gravitational force of three objects on a fourth always constant?

No, the gravitational force of three objects on a fourth is not always constant. The force can change depending on the relative positions and masses of the objects involved. For example, if one of the objects is moved closer to or further away from the other objects, the force will change accordingly.