Gravitational force of moving objects

In summary: So in a sense, the stationary object is the source of the motion, and the moving object is the object being measured.
coolmatthew
Hello guys!

According to relativity, objects with higher kinetic energy have larger mass. Would that affect the gravitational force of the object?

Or in other words, if a neutron moves faster, would it attract other things more strongly?

tyvm

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a box full of a certain number of slowly moving neutrons and another identical box full of the same number of, but faster moving, neutrons, the second box would have a sligthly stronger gravitational attraction on things outside of the box.

coolmatthew said:
if a neutron moves faster, would it attract other things more strongly?

Agerhell said:
If you have a box full of a certain number of slowly moving neutrons and another identical box full of the same number of, but faster moving, neutrons, the second box would have a sligthly stronger gravitational attraction on things outside of the box.

"A box full of neutrons" is different from "a neutron." Gravitational effects are determined by the stress-energy tensor, which I would expect to be different for a box full of randomly-moving neutrons versus the same number of neutrons all moving together in one direction with the same speed.

This question (about the gravitational effect of a moving object) comes up rather often, but I can't find any of the previous threads at the moment. Their titles must not be very obvious, and I can't think of any search keywords that give focused results. We really need an FAQ about it.

Most people's first guess is that an object's gravitational effect depends on the so-called "relativistic mass" ##\gamma m_0 = m_0 / \sqrt {1 - v^2 / c^2}##. However, it's not that simple. For one thing, you have to define carefully what you mean by "gravitational effect" in general relativity. I seem to remember a recent thread in which it turned out that (for a certain definition of "gravitational effect") the appropriate quantity is actually ##\gamma (1 + \beta)m_0## where β=v/c.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
I seem to remember a recent thread in which it turned out that (for a certain definition of "gravitational effect") the appropriate quantity is actually ##\gamma (1 + \beta)m_0## where β=v/c.
This may be the thread you're thinking of. And here's the paper that derived the result.

Yes, that's the one, thanks! I saw the title of that thread when I was skimming backwards chronologically, but I didn't look at it because the word "weight" indicated passive gravitational mass to me, that is, the effect of a gravity on a moving object rather than the effect produced by a moving object. Nevertheless, the paper does address active gravitational mass (the "by" case).

jtbell said:
Yes, that's the one, thanks! I saw the title of that thread when I was skimming backwards chronologically, but I didn't look at it because the word "weight" indicated passive gravitational mass to me, that is, the effect of a gravity on a moving object rather than the effect produced by a moving object. Nevertheless, the paper does address active gravitational mass (the "by" case).

How do you know which object it the moving object? The situation with effect of gravity on a moving object from a stationary object is identical to the situation of gravity by a moving object on a stationary object...

Agerhell said:
How do you know which object it the moving object? The situation with effect of gravity on a moving object from a stationary object is identical to the situation of gravity by a moving object on a stationary object...
Agerhell, if you take a glance at the paper we're referring to, you'll see that this is exactly what is used to to do the calculation. The deflection of a test particle in the field of a static mass is calculated, and then interpreted in the reverse fashion,

Related to Gravitational force of moving objects

What is the gravitational force of a moving object?

The gravitational force of a moving object is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses and the distance between them.

How is the gravitational force affected by the mass of the objects?

The greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

What is the relationship between the distance between two objects and the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.

Does the speed of a moving object affect its gravitational force?

No, the speed of a moving object does not affect its gravitational force. The force of gravity is solely determined by the masses and distance between objects.

How is the gravitational force of a moving object different from an object at rest?

The gravitational force of a moving object is not significantly different from an object at rest. The main difference is that the moving object may have a different trajectory due to the gravitational force acting upon it.