Gravitational Force of Bowling & Billiard Balls - Homework

In summary, the maximum gravitational force that can be exerted between two uniform spheres with masses of 7.2 kg and 0.40 kg, and radii of 0.13 m and 0.028 m respectively, can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2/r^2). After correcting some calculation errors, the resulting force is approximately 7.7e-9.
RKNY

Homework Statement

A bowling ball (mass = 7.2 kg, radius = 0.13 m) and a billiard ball (mass = 0.40 kg, radius = 0.028 m) may each be treated as uniform spheres. What is the magnitude of the maximum gravitational force that each can exert on the other?

Homework Equations

F = G(m1m2/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused about the radius portion of the problem. Shouldn't you add up the radius of both (0.028 + 0.13) and use that answer in the equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that's as close as the two could come together and therefore the greatest force would be generated. You seem to imply that this is not the case?

denverdoc said:
I would think that's as close as the two could come together and therefore the greatest force would be generated. You seem to imply that this is not the case?

F = G x m1 x m2 / r^2

F = (6.67 x 10^-11) x (7.2) x (0.40) / (0.148) x 2

F = .000000001

Doesn't seem to be right when I go and check it.

Last edited:
you have .44 above when the problem states .4, and .148 instead of .158 as you suggested using in the denom. maybe follow suit and go to bed as I intend to now.

Last edited:
denverdoc said:
you have .44 above when the problem states .4, and .148 instead of .158 as you suggested using in the denom. maybe follow suit and go to bed as I intend to now.

sorry, I went back and changed everything. Now everything seems to be the way I attempted it.

well the denominator still shows 0.148, when its 0.158; also make sure to use exponential entry with your calculator; if it doesn't support such, then use the windows free calculator--use the more advanced of the two available. I get something like 7.7e-9

Related to Gravitational Force of Bowling & Billiard Balls - Homework

1. What is the gravitational force between two bowling balls?

The gravitational force between two bowling balls is dependent on their masses and the distance between them. The equation to calculate this force is F = (G * m1 * m2) / d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two balls, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the gravitational force between bowling balls compare to that between billiard balls?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. Since bowling balls are typically larger and heavier than billiard balls, the gravitational force between them will be greater. However, this force is still relatively small and is often overshadowed by other forces in real-life scenarios.

3. Can the gravitational force between two bowling balls be negative?

No, the gravitational force between two objects can never be negative. This is because gravity is always attractive, meaning that it always pulls objects towards each other. If the masses are opposite in sign, the force will still be positive since the negative sign will cancel out when multiplied with the other negative mass.

4. How does the distance between two bowling balls affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two bowling balls increases, the force between them decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law and is applicable to all objects with mass.

5. What is the role of the gravitational constant in the calculation of the gravitational force between bowling balls?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that is used to calculate the gravitational force between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2. Without this constant, it would be impossible to accurately calculate the gravitational force between objects of varying masses and distances.