Gravitational force (I think )

In summary, a student of mass 72 kg is falling towards the Earth's surface from an altitude of 1.5 km with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. The task is to determine the acceleration of the Earth towards the student. This can be solved using the gravitational force equation, F = G*M*m/r^2, where r is the distance from the center of mass of the Earth to the falling person (radius of the Earth + altitude). Alternatively, the net force experienced by the Earth can be calculated as GMm/r^2, where M is the mass of the Earth, to determine its acceleration.
map7s

Homework Statement

A student of mass 72 kg is at an altitude of 1.5 km falling towards the Earth's surface, accelerating at 9.8 m/s2. What is the acceleration of the Earth as it falls toward the student? The radius of the Earth is 6.38 x 10^6 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to go about solving this problem. I don't know what to do with the information that is given or even what equations to use. (but I do know that my answer has to have an exponent of 10^-23 m/s2)

Physics news on Phys.org
TWO masses exert a force on each other, i.e. F = G M m /r2.

The m is subjected to an acceleration of g = G M / r2, so can one determine the acceleration of M?

Last edited:
oh...okay...that makes more sense...well G is a constant and M is given...so for r, should I use the radius of the earth? (because I was thinking to use the distance that the person was falling b/c that would be the "radius" between the two objects...but then what would I do with the radius of the earth?...and does M correspond to the mass of the Earth or the mass of the person?)

is there any other way to do this without using the gravitational force equation?

map7s said:
is there any other way to do this without using the gravitational force equation?

There is... but I'm guessing they want you to solve it using the gravitational force equation because they give you the radius of the earth.

The Earth experience a net force of GMm/r^2 (here r is not the radius of the earth, but the distance from the center of mass of the Earth to the falling person... ie the radius of the Earth + the altitude), where M is the Earth's mass. So what is the acceleration of the earth?

Related to Gravitational force (I think )

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is a fundamental force of nature that governs the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How is the strength of gravitational force determined?

The strength of gravitational force is determined by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The force increases as the masses of the objects increase and decreases as the distance between them increases.

3. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of the gravitational force exerted by the Earth on the objects. This force is proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 near the Earth's surface.

4. Can gravitational force be felt on a large scale?

Yes, gravitational force can be felt on a large scale. It is responsible for the formation and movement of celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in the structure of the universe.

5. Can gravitational force be measured?

Yes, gravitational force can be measured using a device called a gravimeter. It measures the gravitational pull on an object and converts it into a numerical value, usually in units of Newtons (N).