Gravitational force for a ball and particle

In summary, the question asks for the distance from a small 110kg ball to a particle where the ball's gravitational force is equal to that of the Earth's. The equation used is Fg= gMm/r^2, and although the mass of the particle is unknown, it can be left as a variable since it ultimately cancels out in the equation. The correct answer is R= R^2 * Mball/Mearth, with the final result being 7.49-10^-10 after square rooting.
PKay

Homework Statement

How far from a very small 110kg ball would a particle have to be placed so that the ball pulled on the particle just as hard as the Earth does?

Homework Equations

Fg= gMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation and plugged in the numbers for the ball and the earth, but then I realized that I needed to use the mass for the particle. However, I don't know what the mass for the particle is.

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not require the mass of the particle.

Am I supposed to leave it as a variable?

It's your choice..if you do that, you can see it cancels out ultimately.

Thanks! I see it now... I end up getting R= R^2 * Mball/Mearth I'm hoping I'm in the right direction.

Yes.

I get 7.49-10^-10 but it says I'm wrong.

Whoops. I'm sorry. I forgot to square root that. Thanks so much for your help! Now to tackle the other 2 monstrous problems.

Related to Gravitational force for a ball and particle

1. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force for a ball and particle?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the mass of an object affect gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This is because the more mass an object has, the more it pulls on other objects due to its larger gravitational pull.

3. How does the distance between objects affect gravitational force?

The farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational force. This is because the force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases.

4. Can gravitational force be negative?

No, gravitational force is always a positive value. It is a force of attraction between two objects, so it cannot be negative.

5. How does gravitational force differ for a ball and a particle?

The gravitational force between a ball and a particle will depend on their masses and the distance between them. However, the force will be significantly greater for the ball due to its larger mass compared to the particle.