Gravitational Force: F=G\frac{mM}{r^2} & M'=\frac{Mr^3}{R^3}

In summary: Multiply both sides by M.M=\rho \frac{4\pi \cdot R^3}{3}\\M'=\rho \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}\frac{M'}{M}=\frac{\rho \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}}{\rho \frac{4\pi \cdot R^3}{3}}
aloshi
Gravitational force on mass m outside a sphere with mass M is given by [tex]F=G\frac{mM}{r^2}[/tex], where r is the distance to the center of mass. Gravity inside the sphere surface because of the mass distribution, since only the portion of the sphere mass is inside r contributes to the attraction. If the Earth's density is constant (which it definitely is not), so given the mass inside r of [tex]M'=\frac{Mr^3}{R^3} [/tex], where R is Earth radius. Gravitational force in the Earth's surface (r less than R) thus becomes: [tex]F=G\frac{mMr}{R^3}[/tex]

my question is how can we prove/shown formula [tex]M'=\frac{Mr^3}{R^3} [/tex]??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What fraction of the total spherical volume does the mass < r occupy?

Doc Al said:
Hint: What fraction of the total spherical volume does the mass < r occupy?

what does mean with occupy?

aloshi said:
what does mean with occupy?
Occupy means 'take up', but I'll restate it differently. Since you assume uniform density, the mass is proportional to the volume. Compare the volume of a sphere of radius = r to one of radius = R.

Doc Al said:
Occupy means 'take up', but I'll restate it differently. Since you assume uniform density, the mass is proportional to the volume. Compare the volume of a sphere of radius = r to one of radius = R.

I can not really understand how to get
[tex]M’= \frac{Mr^3 }{R^3}[/tex]
“the mass is proportional to the volume” = [tex]M(V)=\rho \frac{4\pi r^2}{3}[/tex]
if we write [tex]M(V)= \frac{\rho4\pi }{3}\cdot r^2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\rho4\pi }{3}=k[/tex]
k=constant
[tex]M(r)=k\cdot r^2[/tex]

can you show me mathematical how I can get [tex]M’= \frac{Mr^3 }{R^3}[/tex]

aloshi said:
if we write [tex]M(V)= \frac{\rho4\pi }{3}\cdot r^2[/tex]
That should be:

[tex]M(V)= \frac{\rho4\pi }{3}\cdot r^3[/tex]

Compare the total mass MR (where radius = R) to the partial mass Mr (where radius = r).

Doc Al said:
That should be:

[tex]M(V)= \frac{\rho4\pi }{3}\cdot r^3[/tex]

Compare the total mass MR (where radius = R) to the partial mass Mr (where radius = r).

but there is no evidence that the mass is [tex]M'=\frac{Mr^3}{R^3}[/tex]
can you show me mathematical, so I can understand

aloshi said:
but there is no evidence that the mass is [tex]M'=\frac{Mr^3}{R^3}[/tex]
can you show me mathematical, so I can understand
What does M equal? (Use the formula for density times volume.)
What does M' equal? (Use the formula for density times volume.)

Then just divide M' by M and see what you get.

Doc Al said:
What does M equal? (Use the formula for density times volume.)
What does M' equal? (Use the formula for density times volume.)

Then just divide M' by M and see what you get.

[tex]M=\rho \frac{4\pi \cdot R^3}{3}\\ [/tex]
[tex]M'=\rho \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{M'}{M}=\frac{\rho \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}}{\rho \frac{4\pi \cdot R^3}{3}}[/tex]

this does not give us the mass, this give is the share

Finish the division--canceling things that can be canceled--and you'll get the formula you want.

Doc Al said:
Finish the division--canceling things that can be canceled--and you'll get the formula you want.

[tex]\frac{M'}{M}=\frac{r^3}{R^3}[/tex]
but that's not what I want, this give me the share, not the new mass

aloshi said:
[tex]\frac{M'}{M}=\frac{r^3}{R^3}[/tex]
but that's not what I want, this give me the share, not the new mass
Multiply both sides by M.

Related to Gravitational Force: F=G\frac{mM}{r^2} & M'=\frac{Mr^3}{R^3}

1. What is the equation for gravitational force?

The equation for gravitational force is F=G\frac{mM}{r^2}, where F is the force of attraction between two objects, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is the equation for gravitational force derived?

The equation for gravitational force is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the role of the gravitational constant (G) in the equation?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a universal constant that represents the strength of the force of gravity. It is necessary to include this constant in the equation to calculate the precise value of the gravitational force between two objects.

4. What is the significance of the variables M' and R in the equation?

The variables M' and R represent the total mass and radius of a spherical body, such as a planet or star. They are used in the equation to calculate the gravitational force exerted by the entire body on an object at a distance r from its center.

5. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of attraction between them decreases. Therefore, the closer two objects are, the greater the gravitational force between them.