Gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun

In summary, yumito was trying to solve an equation for gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun, but was confused because he didn't know what the variables were. He was helped out by another user, and then asked how to make the thread solved.
yumito

Homework Statement

The question is what is gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun.
We are given the formula F = Gm1m2/d2. I found the mass of the sun and the Earth the gravitational constant and the distance. my issue is the G of the equation.

G=6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 / kg s^2

my issue is i cannot solve the problem without knowing what the m,kg,and s are of G. i have seen people answer this the following way

Homework Equations

(6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 / kg s^2)(1.9891 x 10^30 kg)(5.9736 x 10^24 kg) / (1.503 x 10^11 m)^2
The answer they got was: 3.510 x 10^22 N

This confuses me because i don't know what their N is either.

The question/TLDR
My guess is ks is just kilograms and m is maybe m2.

What are the variables in gravitational constant.
G= 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 / kg s^2

m=? kg=? s=?

Also First post :D

Last edited:
Likes Hussain Hmad
Physics news on Phys.org
yumito said:

Homework Statement

The question is what is gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun.
We are given the formula F = Gm1m2/d2. I found the mass of the sun and the Earth the gravitational constant and the distance. my issue is the G of the equation.

G=6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 / kg s^2

my issue is i cannot solve the problem without knowing what the m,kg,and s are of G. i have seen people answer this the following way

Homework Equations

(6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 / kg s^2)(1.9891 x 10^30 kg)(5.9736 x 10^24 kg) / (1.503 x 10^11 m)^2
The answer they got was: 3.510 x 10^22 N

This confuses me because i don't know what their N is either.

The question/TLDR
My guess is ks is just kilograms and m is maybe m2.

What are the variables in gravitational constant.
G= 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 / kg s^2

m=? kg=? s=?

Also First post :D

m = meters (unit of distance), kg = kilograms (unit of mass), s = seconds (unit of time), N = Newtons (unit of force). They are units, not numbers.

Admittedly, using 'm' and 's' can lead to confusion sometimes, especially since the letter 'm' is often used in Physics to denote a mass, and 's' is often used in other ways, too.

RGV

Hello yumito. Welcome to PF !

thanks that helped me out i was quite confused haha. also how do i make the thread solved?

I can provide a response to the content provided. The gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun is a result of their masses and the distance between them. The formula for gravitational force is F = Gm1m2/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them. The units for G are meters cubed per kilogram per second squared, which may seem confusing at first. However, these units are necessary to ensure that the final unit for gravitational force is Newtons (N), which is the unit for force.

In the given problem, the masses of the Sun and Earth are known, as well as the distance between them. The only unknown is the value of G. The value of G is a constant, meaning it does not change and is the same for all objects in the universe. It is a fundamental constant in physics and its value has been determined through experiments and observations.

Therefore, to solve the problem, we simply plug in the known values for the masses and distance, along with the value of G, and use the proper units for each variable. In this case, the units for mass are kilograms (kg), the units for distance are meters (m), and the units for time are seconds (s).

I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion you may have had. Keep asking questions and exploring the wonders of science!

Related to Gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two objects, such as the Earth and the Sun, is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between the objects.

2. How does the distance between the Earth and the Sun affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This is known as the inverse square law.

3. What is the value of the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun?

The gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun is approximately 3.52 x 10^22 Newtons. This is an extremely large force due to the massive size of the Sun and the Earth's relatively small distance from it.

4. Does the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun change over time?

Yes, the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun does change over time. This is due to the fact that the Earth's orbit around the Sun is not a perfect circle, but rather an ellipse. This causes the distance between the two objects to vary throughout the year, resulting in a slightly different gravitational force at different times.

5. How does the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun affect the Earth's orbit?

The gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun is the force that keeps the Earth in its orbit around the Sun. Without this force, the Earth would continue in a straight line and not orbit around the Sun. The strength of this force also determines the shape and stability of the Earth's orbit.