Gravitational force between objects

In summary: I think what your text meant to say is:SQRT(r2+r2) = SQRT(2 * r2) = SQRT(2) * r {Note the placement of the parenthesis}.To be clear, the radius of the square is 0.5 m. The diagonal of the square is the distance between points m0 and m2, which is the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides of length r.The length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides of length r is:SQRT( r2 + r2) = SQRT(2r2) = SQRT(2) * rThe text is quite clear, the diagonal of the square is
SteveS
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dat

Three solid spheres of lead, each of mass 9.8 kg, are located at three corners of a square with side lengths of 50 cm. A small object is released at the forth corner. Considering only the gravitational forces among the four objects, determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the smaller object when it is released.

Homework Equations

F = Gm1m2/r^2
a = F/m

mo = mass of object

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I drew a square and added the three 9.8 kg balls. Top right of the square is Ball #1, Top left of the square is ball #2, bottom left is Ball #3. The smaller object is in the bottom right corner of the square.

∑F = F1 Cos 45 + F2 + F3 Cos 45

Substituting into this the formula for force one gets

ΣF = G*mo*m1 / r^2 * Cos 45 + G*mo*m2 / 2r^2 + G*mo*m3 / r^2 Cos 45

This simplifies to:

ΣF = G*mo /r^2 ( Cos 45 * m1 + 0.5m2 + Cos 45*m3)

If we then equate this to F = mo *a, you get the mo to cancel and are left with:

a = G / r^2 (Cos 45*(9.8kg) + 0.5(9.8kg) + Cos 45 * (9.8kg))

substitue in G = 6.67x10^-11 and 0.05m for r and you get an a of: 5.0 x 10^-7 m/s^2 in the direction of the centre of the square.

Have I done this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveS said:
0.05m for r
Are you sure about that?? the question says ##50cm##! Do you still think your final answer is right?

lol d'oh. failure to move decimal places for the fail... let me fix that. r = 0.5m...

a = 5.0 x10^-9 m/s^2...

look better now?

Looks right to me.
There isn't any mention of where the square is located, on earth? then horizontal or vertical? if in space then fine!
If you get time go through this, for the equations you typed.

The question doesn't specify a location, or weather it is vertical or horizontal. It only specifies to only consider the gravitational forces the objects exert on each other. So it seems like in space. That being said in space it shouldn't matter then if the square was vertical or horizontal relative to the observer then would it?

thats why i said
Suraj M said:
then fine!

Why is the radius 0.5 meters? It says that the side of the square is 0.5m, meaning that the square is just points on a circle. Using Pythagoras I calculated the radius to be 0.35m approx. Where am I going wrong? (working on the question myself)

Brendan Webb said:
Why is the radius 0.5 meters? It says that the side of the square is 0.5m, meaning that the square is just points on a circle. Using Pythagoras I calculated the radius to be 0.35m approx. Where am I going wrong? (working on the question myself)
Make a sketch and check the geometry.

Brendan Webb said:
The "r" in the formula for gravitational attraction (##F=\frac{Gm_0m_1}{r^2}##) is not the radius of an arbitrarily selected circle that seems to be relevant to the problem. It denotes the distance between the [centers of masses of the] two objects whose masses are ##m_0## and ##m_1##.

Likes Brendan Webb and SteveS
Ok, now I understand the radius, thank you

Hi again,

For the radius of F2, I don't understand why it would be 2r. It is shown in my textbook as SQRT(r^2+r^2) = SQRT(2r). This equals 2r as explained in the above problem. However, if we are using the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out the diagonal of the square isn't it r^2 + r^2 = r^2 (distance between m0 & m2) which in this problem equals 0.5^2 + 0.5^2 = Sqrt(0.5) which equals 0.707 meters. I made a square of equal size and measured it and yes the diagonal between a square of sides 0.5 meters equals 0.707 meters and not 1 meter as suggested by 2r. I am clearly not understanding something here but I don't know what, any help again would be much appreciated.

Brendan Webb said:
Hi again,

For the radius of F2, I don't understand why it would be 2r. It is shown in my textbook as SQRT(r^2+r^2) = SQRT(2r). This equals 2r as explained in the above problem. However, if we are using the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out the diagonal of the square isn't it r^2 + r^2 = r^2 (distance between m0 & m2) which in this problem equals 0.5^2 + 0.5^2 = Sqrt(0.5) which equals 0.707 meters. I made a square of equal size and measured it and yes the diagonal between a square of sides 0.5 meters equals 0.707 meters and not 1 meter as suggested by 2r. I am clearly not understanding something here but I don't know what, any help again would be much appreciated.

If indeed your text has printed SQRT(r2+r2) = SQRT (2r), then this is in error, as simple algebra will show that:

SQRT(r2+r2) = SQRT(2*r2) = SQRT(2) * r {Note the placement of the parenthesis}

Likes Brendan Webb

Related to Gravitational force between objects

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that describes the attractive force between two objects with mass.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects is calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force between objects?

The strength of gravitational force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses and the closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

4. How does the distance between objects affect gravitational force?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, meaning that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. Can gravitational force be shielded or cancelled out?

No, gravitational force cannot be shielded or cancelled out. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between objects with mass. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as electromagnetic forces, but the gravitational force itself cannot be eliminated.