Gravitational force between disk and particle

In summary, the gravitational force between a disk-shaped mass and a particle with mass m located a distance x above the center of the disk is \frac{GmMx}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} where a is the radius of the ring and x is the distance of the particle with mass m from the ring of mass M.
deekin

Homework Statement

Mass M is distributed uniformly over a disk of radius a. Find the gravitational force between this disk-shaped mass and a particle with mass m located a distance x above the center of the disk.

Homework Equations

The problem gives the hint to use the equation found in an earlier problem for the force of gravity between a ring and a particle. This equation is [itex]\frac{GmMx}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/itex] where a is the radius of the ring and x is the distance of the particle with mass m from the ring of mass M.

The Attempt at a Solution

I switched out r (for the radius) for a, integrated with respect to r, and used 0 to a as my limits of integration. [itex]\int \frac{GmMx}{(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}dr[/itex] I'm not sure how to get the limits of integration on there. Anyway, the answer I got was [itex]\frac{GmMa}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}}[/itex].

The back of the book has [itex]\frac{2GMm}{a^2}(1-\frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}})[/itex]. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. The radius of the ring is what is changing, which is why I integrated with respect to the radius r. Your help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before, M was the mass of a single ring. Now M represents the mass of the whole disk, so each of the many rings of thickness dr over the integration will have some portion of the whole mass. Call it dM.

Consider a differential element of mass dm. If you draw a figure, you will realize (if you think about it long enough) that this must be related to the area by:

$$ dm = 2\pi ada\sigma $$
Since you can imagine you have a disc which you added a small width increase da. You'll end up with a slightly nasty integral, but you can simplify it by doing some clever trickery related to the trigonometry of the problem (there are electrostatic analogs to this problem which you might want to look into as well).

Awesome, thank you so much. Totally overlooked that dM.

Ok, so [itex] dM=ρ2\pi dr[/itex], where [itex]ρ=\frac{M}{\pi a^2}[/itex]. Then [itex]dM=\frac{2Mdr}{a^2}[/itex].

So the integral becomes
[itex]\int \frac{2GMmxdr}{a^2(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{2GMmx}{a^2}\int\frac{dr}{(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}[/itex]. The bounds of integration are from 0 to a. Substitute [itex] r=xtan\theta[/itex] and [itex]dr=x(sec\theta)^2d\theta[/itex].

[itex]\frac{2GMmx}{a^2}\int (x^2+x^2(tan\theta)^2)^{-3/2}x(sec\theta)^2d\theta=\frac{2GMm}{a^2x}sin\theta=\frac{2GMmr}{a^2x\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}[/itex] evaluated from 0 to a. The answer I get is [itex]\frac{2GMma}{a^2x\sqrt{x^2+a^2}}[/itex]. Could you please point out what I'm missing? Thanks.

If ##\rho## is the density, then a differential mass element consisting of a ring of radius r and width dr is:

##dM = \rho \, 2 \pi r \, dr##

but ##\rho = \frac{M}{\pi a^2}## so that

## dM = 2 \frac{M}{a^2} r \, dr ##

Don't forget that r in the numerator.

Great, finally got it. Thank you gneill.

Related to Gravitational force between disk and particle

1. What is the gravitational force between a disk and a particle?

The gravitational force between a disk and a particle is the attractive force that exists between the two objects due to their masses. This force follows the universal law of gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the gravitational force between a disk and a particle calculated?

The gravitational force between a disk and a particle can be calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the gravitational force between a disk and a particle?

The gravitational force between a disk and a particle is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The force increases with an increase in the masses and decreases with an increase in the distance between the objects.

4. Can the gravitational force between a disk and a particle be negative?

No, the gravitational force between a disk and a particle cannot be negative. It is always an attractive force, meaning that it pulls the objects towards each other. A negative force would indicate a repulsive force, which is not possible for gravitational forces.

5. How does the gravitational force between a disk and a particle affect their motion?

The gravitational force between a disk and a particle affects their motion by causing them to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is dependent on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The force also determines the trajectory of their motion, as it is responsible for the curved paths of objects in orbit around each other.