Gravitational Force: between 3 objects ?

In summary, to find the gravitational force on a 5kg object placed .25m away from one 75kg mass and .75m away from another 75kg mass, you can calculate the forces separately and then find the difference between them. The net force in this case would be 3.5587e^-7.
littlejim

Homework Statement

Two 75kg masses are separated by a distance of 1 meter. a 5kg object is placed .25 meters from one of the masses, .75 meters from the other along the line joining the masses. What is the gravitational force on the object?

Homework Equations

F=G(m1)(m2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for this I have started by calculating the force between each 75kg mass and the 5kg mass separately. I get 4.00356e-7 for the .25m distance, and 4.4484e-8 for the .75m distance.

Im not quite sure where to go from here to answer the question; i remember that as distance increases between two objects, the force of gravity between them is an inverse relationship. So I think that means here that the force with the .75m distance is like 1/9 of the other...or something like that. I have confused myself at this point. I just don't know how to proceed with this. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi littlejim, welcome to PF.
Forces due to two masses on the object are in the opposite direction. So, to find the net force, find the difference between them.

So just
(4.00356e^-7)-(4.4484e^-8)= 3.5587e^-7

Well that explains it. Thanks

Related to Gravitational Force: between 3 objects ?

1. What is gravitational force between 3 objects?

The gravitational force between 3 objects is the attractive force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How is gravitational force between 3 objects calculated?

The gravitational force between 3 objects can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the distance between the objects affect the gravitational force?

Yes, the distance between the objects does affect the gravitational force. As the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force decreases. This is known as the inverse square law.

4. Can the gravitational force between 3 objects be negative?

No, the gravitational force between 3 objects cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, indicating an attractive force between the objects. However, the direction of the force can be negative if it is pointing in the opposite direction of the objects' motion or position.

5. How does the mass of the objects affect the gravitational force between 3 objects?

The mass of the objects directly affects the gravitational force between 3 objects. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force will be. This means that objects with larger masses will have a stronger gravitational pull on other objects.