Gravitational Force and weight at the equator

In summary, the question asks how much a person would weigh at the equator if they weighed 600.0N at the north pole on a perfect sphere with radius 6370 km. The answer is 597.9 N, which is slightly less than the weight at the north pole due to the rotation of the Earth and the resulting centrifugal force. This can be calculated using the equation F_c = \frac{m v^2}{ r} and taking into account the net force, which is equal to the normal force upward minus mg. Some students suggest that the normal force is 0, but this is not accurate.
MiniJo

Homework Statement

Suppose the Earth is a perfect sphere with R=6370 km. If a person weighs exactly 600.0N at the north pole, how much will the person weigh at the equator? (Hint: the upward push of the scale on the person is what the scale will read and is what we are calling the weight in this case.)

Homework Equations

Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

This was my belief: that since in the question the Earth is presumed to be a perfect sphere, it means the radius will be constant at all points of the surface. Therefore, shouldn't the weight stay the same? But the answer to the question is 597.9 N, not 600.0 N and I just don't understand how.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the normal force, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to take into account the rotation of the Earth around its north south pole axis?

I doubt that we have to take that into consideration. Our teacher never touched upon that yet.

MiniJo said:
I doubt that we have to take that into consideration. Our teacher never touched upon that yet.

I am sure that you must have to take into account the rotation of the Earth, otherwise the answer would be trivially the same weight. Have you covered uniform circular rotation, in which case the net force is [itex] F_c = \frac{m v^2}{ r} [/itex] ?

Then just apply this and use the fact that the net force is equal to a normal force upward minus mg . Solve for the normal force.

Patrick

Related to Gravitational Force and weight at the equator

1. What is the difference in gravitational force at the equator compared to other latitudes?

At the equator, the gravitational force is slightly less than at other latitudes due to the centrifugal force created by the Earth's rotation. This causes objects to weigh slightly less at the equator.

2. How does the Earth's shape affect gravitational force at the equator?

The Earth's equatorial bulge, caused by its rotation, leads to a slightly larger distance between objects at the equator and the center of the Earth. This results in a slightly weaker gravitational force at the equator compared to other latitudes.

3. Does altitude affect gravitational force at the equator?

Yes, altitude does affect gravitational force at the equator. As altitude increases, the distance between objects and the center of the Earth increases, resulting in a slightly weaker gravitational force.

4. How does the direction of gravitational force change at the equator?

At the equator, the direction of gravitational force is perpendicular to the Earth's surface. This means that objects at the equator experience a slightly different direction of force compared to objects at other latitudes, where the force is directed towards the center of the Earth.

5. Does weight change at the equator due to gravitational force?

Yes, weight does change at the equator due to gravitational force. As the strength and direction of gravitational force are slightly different at the equator compared to other latitudes, an object's weight will also be slightly different at the equator.