Gravitational force and particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a third object, with different masses, between two fixed objects on an axis in order to achieve zero net gravitational force. The optimal placement for the third object is between the two objects, closer to the less massive one. However, there is no point off the axis where the net force would be zero. This is due to the fact that the distance between the two objects will always create a nonzero gravitational force.
ace123
3. In the figure below, two objects of mass m and 2m, are fixed in place on an axis.
(a) Now consider a third particle of mass 5m. Where must this object be placed so that there is zero net gravitational force on it from the first two objects: to the left of the first two objects, to their right, between them but closer to the more massive particle, or between them but closer to the less massive particle? Explain fully.
(b) Repeat (a) for the case where the mass of the third object is 15m.
(c) Is there a point off the axis at which the net force on the third object would be zero? Explain fully.

a. I think it should be placed between them but closer to the less massive particle. Since we need a net force of zero the force by the mass m has to equal the force of mass 2m.

b. I think it's the same as a.

c. Don't fully understand what he means by this question but I'm guessing it would be a distance far away from the 2 masses so the r will be so big that any force will be neglegible.

Is this right? Can someone help me better understand this? Any help will be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I forgot this picture. It's in the attachment and it's the third question. Thank you

Attachments

• CQ_-_5.doc
    32 KB · Views: 267
Don't really need the picture. Your description is fine. You are, in spirit, right on all three. But for c) I think what you really want to say is that there is no such point. You can get far enough away that the force is in some sense, negligible, but it's still nonzero. The question does say, 'explain fully'. Why does it have to be closer to the smaller mass particle?

That's my problem I'm having difficulty explaining it. I think it's because the bigger distance between 2m and 5m will balance out with the larger numerator, 2m times 5m. And if it is closer to the m it will balance out with the smaller number, 1m times 5m. Does this make sense or is their some other way to explain this better and I'm just missing it?

Thanks for the help

ace123 said:
That's my problem I'm having difficulty explaining it. I think it's because the bigger distance between 2m and 5m will balance out with the larger numerator, 2m times 5m. And if it is closer to the m it will balance out with the smaller number, 1m times 5m. Does this make sense or is their some other way to explain this better and I'm just missing it?

Thanks for the help

That's about it really. If it's at the midpoint, it will get pulled towards the larger mass. So you need to move towards the smaller mass to increase it's pull and decrease that of the larger mass. And, of course, outside of the interval between them they pull in the same direction. That's what I would say.

Thanks just wanted to be sure.

Related to Gravitational force and particles

1. What is the gravitational force?

The gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. This force is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and for the formation of galaxies.

2. How is the strength of gravitational force determined?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects is determined by their masses and the distance between them. The more massive the objects and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational force and particles?

The gravitational force is mediated by particles called gravitons. These particles are hypothetical and have not yet been observed, but they are predicted by the theory of general relativity.

4. Can gravitational force be shielded or cancelled?

No, gravitational force cannot be shielded or cancelled. It is a universal force that acts on all objects with mass, regardless of their composition or state of matter.

5. How does gravitational force affect the behavior of particles?

Gravitational force affects the behavior of particles by causing them to move towards each other. This can result in the formation of larger structures, such as stars and galaxies, as well as the motion of objects in the universe.