Gravitational Force and initial velocity

In summary, the motion of a body thrown upwards from the Earth's surface, with escape velocity as its initial velocity and disregarding air resistance, can be determined by applying Newton's 2nd Law of Motion and using the conservation of energy principle. This results in an integral that can be solved to find the position of the body at any given time. The correct answer for the position as a function of time is x(t) = (x_0^(3/2) + 3/2 sqrt(2GM) t)^(2/3).
FLms

Homework Statement

What is the motion of a body thrown upwards from the Earth's surface, with escape velocity as it's initial velocity. Disregard the air resistance.

Homework Equations

[tex]v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2 G M}{x}}[/tex]
[tex]F_g = \frac{G M m}{x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I though this was a simple problem, by just applying Newton's 2nd Law of Motion.

[tex]m \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{-G M m}{x^2}[/tex]

However, as the force F depends on the position, x(t) can be determined by solving the integral:

[tex]\int_{x_0}^{x} \frac{dx}{\pm \sqrt{(E + \frac{G M m}{x})}} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}} t[/tex]

I'm really lost here. How do I solve this?
And, by the way, shouldn't the Energy (E), in this case, be zero?

Any help appreciated.

PS: The correct answer is:

[tex]x (t) = (x_0^\frac{3}{2} + \frac{3}{2} \sqrt{2 G M} t)^\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That integral came up wrong.
[itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] should be the limits of integration.

You seem to be most of the way there, except that I don't understand exactly how you set up your integral.

One way I can think of to do it is, starting from your Newton's 2nd law:
[tex]m \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{-G M m}{x^2}[/tex]

Then using the fact dv/dt = dv/dx dx/dt = v dv/dx, which you probably also did, separate variables and integrate both sides:
[tex]\int v dv = \int -\frac{GM}{x^2} dx[/tex]

to get
[tex]\frac{1}{2} v^2 = \frac{GM}{x}[/tex]
This expression just expresses conservation of energy (-d(KE) = d(PE)) and satisfies the "escape velocity" condition of KE + PE = 0 at x0 (with no extra constant of integration).

Isolating and substituting v = dx/dt:
[tex]v = \sqrt{2GM} x^{-1/2} = dx/dt[/tex]

Now separate variables and integrate again, and determine your integration constant at x0.

Last edited:
I can't believe I missed a simple separated variables equation.
Thanks for your help.

olivermsun said:
You seem to be most of the way there, except that I don't understand exactly how you set up your integral.

The integral comes from the conservation of energy principle.

[tex]T + V(x) = E[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m v^2 + V(x) = E[/tex]
[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}} [E - V(x)]^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Then, you can find [itex]x(t)[/itex] solving:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}} \int_{x_0}^{x} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{E - V(x)}} = t - t_0[/tex]

In this case, the potential energy [itex]V(x) = \frac{G M m}{x}[/itex]

Last edited:
Ah, right, it's the same integral, but you have chosen to retain little m and moved everything to the dx side. Cool. :)

Related to Gravitational Force and initial velocity

What is the gravitational force?

The gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

How is the gravitational force calculated?

The gravitational force is calculated using the formula F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. The force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the relationship between gravitational force and initial velocity?

The initial velocity of an object does not affect the gravitational force acting on it. The force of gravity remains constant regardless of the initial velocity of an object. However, the initial velocity does affect the trajectory and motion of the object under the influence of the gravitational force.

Does initial velocity affect gravitational potential energy?

Yes, initial velocity does affect gravitational potential energy. The higher the initial velocity, the greater the object's kinetic energy and the more work is required to overcome the gravitational force and lift the object to a higher position, increasing its potential energy.

How does gravitational force affect projectile motion?

The gravitational force affects projectile motion by causing objects to follow a curved path instead of a straight line. The force of gravity acts on objects in the vertical direction, while the initial velocity of the object determines its horizontal motion. This results in a curved path known as a parabola.